1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs without a shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ibpboo, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Think I will try the ACV in the water. Today one of my hens was eating her egg, but I saw no shell. It doesn't seem she would of gobbled the shell that fast and then been eating the egg. So, I wondered if she laid it without a shell? I've found before that eggs had been eaten because of the residue left behind and figured the shell must of broke, but today was weird. She is 6 years old, barred rock. I feed layer crumbles and scratch, sometimes fruits, veggies, bread etc.
    Any ideas?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    They sometimes lay shelless eggs, i just got one 3 days ago, keep an eye on her, she might be eating all her eggs.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Supplement with oyster shell or something. I had a Barred Rock hen that would lay shelless eggs sporatically. They look quite funky don't they...

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Okay, you people are freaking me out now.

5. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I got one of these 2 days in a row but everything is back to normal. The first day it was broken in the nest, the next day there it was, still whole with no shell. What a weird looking thing. I threw it out of the nest and the hens all came and gobbled it up. They know they can eat them if i break them for them.

6. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I was getting shell-less eggs and weak shelled eggs a few years ago and one of my neighbors (who has raised chickens for years) said to wash egg shells and when I had a bunch saved, bake them for a few minutes to thoroughly dry them then crush them and toss them out for the chickens. They ate them just like scratch grains and really seemed to like them. I no longer have a problem with egg shell integrity.[​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I nuke my eggshells in the microwave for about 10 seconds; that's much quicker than heating up your oven to dry them out. Just make sure they are crushed really well; if they resemble an egg, it encourages egg eating. I put mine in a gallon ziploc bag (leaving the top open) until it's about half full, then I use a rolling pin to crush them up.

If your chickens are eating eggs, they could be lacking protein; try throwing in some dry cat food. It's high in protein. I also throw in BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) now and then, and it seems to really help with the egg-laying mechanisms, and they absolutely love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by