eggs won't hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grandmajean, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Grandmajean

Grandmajean Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    My little Henny Penny sat on a clutch of brown eggs, not hers, she lays a small white egg. She got off after 23 days, without hatching. I collected the eggs and they floated, so I opened them, out of curiosity. There were formed chicks inside. These brown eggs are very hard to crack, and the skin is tough. I notice this when I am using them. Could this be why they won't hatch? This is the second time this has happened. It is so disappointing!

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'd try posting this in Incubating & Hatching Eggs. You'll get people who know.

Sorry I can't answer your question.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    A lot of the eggs from my dad's hens are like that. A friend of mine tried to hatch them and said the same thing. I knew the shells were pretty hard, but had no idea the membranes were as well. She said she researched it and found that young hens eggs will often be like that. I would say it would be quite possible that is the problem. Are the hens young (like under 1 year)? Maybe if you run a bit higher humidity it will help soften the membrane.

4. Grandmajean

Grandmajean Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks for your replies. Yes, Shelley, my hens are under a year old. I will see how the eggs are, as they get older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by