Eggs WOW Already

TanZ

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 21, 2014
OK as it says Already???? got some babies back in Late March and early April. Should have wrote down when we got them I can't remember if it was picked up or ordered at that time. Anyway wow today I go out and I found that the Amber Whites have started to lay eggs already. Looking at the Black Australorps bought at the same time don't have any yet.. The one on the top right was one that I seen first. because there was a hen laying a egg where another hen had layed on seeing after I collected the one and left the coop she got up to find 2 more. I will tomorrow start feeding them layers seeing I already fed them before I seen the eggs. Almost looks like the first one was clawed at to move it out of where the hens were laying them.The egg are very good with no cracks right now they are only getting Scratch, Grass and loads of tomato that I left on the plant to long. They love them.... So to me they look great.. My son thinks I should have left them to let the hens set and hatch them however I don't know they will and this time to many chickens in the coop to make me feel like leaving them. the other hen was alone with her own rooster. This one has 9 hens and 2 roosters. So wasn't sure it was a good idea..
James

Hi there! Congratulations on your first eggs, it is always exciting to go to the nest box and see something in there other than straw
big_smile.png

You will soon see that home produced eggs taste so much better than store bought eggs. I really hope you enjoy them and savour every mouthful.

With regards to setting eggs, it is generally a good idea to wait a couple of months after the hens have started laying before selecting eggs to be set. Also, it's not just a matter of 'leaving eggs in the nest' - your girls have to be showing signs of broodiness first. Keep a close eye on them in the coming months, If they take to their nests on a permanent basis, puff up like a porcupine when you go near their nests, growl an ominous threatening growl when you walk near them and refuse to leave their nest for anything, they are ready to sit!

Feeding Layers pellets now is a good idea. That way they will have a good, balanced diet designed to produce good egg quality and maintain their health.

Enjoy those eggs, and congratulations once again!

- Krista

Thank you for all the information... Very happy to see they are starting to lay even being as young as they are. I just read on here they mostly don't lay all year and wonder if I should like some others have add a Light to keep the laying going? Just saying seeing they are laying at this time. It has been cold at night too. Just don't know what I should do. Let them do the winter Molt or keep the eggs coming?

James

I'm not an expert in this, but I was under the impression that they would not have a full moult until the following year. My girls started laying at 5 months, and are now 9 months, and laid eggs all through our Winter with no supplemental lighting.

Some more experienced people might be able to help you on this. I look forward to seeing their comments.

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom