Eggs

Pearl Cromhout

Hatching
Jan 11, 2016
Hello

I have two hens laying on top of 5 eggs in one box. it has been more than 25 days. i cannot get in the laying box as they peck and get very annoyed. is there any way i can get in to check on the eggs without hurting them.

Thank you

They are broody. Search "Breaking a Broody" and it will show you how to break them. Sitting for prolonged times without hatching eggs can negatively affect their health. Broodies lose a lot of weight.

put a coffee can over their heads and push them off the nest. They are nimble animals. they won't get hurt. My grandmother has used this method with her broody hens for years. are the eggs even fertilized? Good luck!

Last edited:
Ditto, go out when its dark or take a coffee can or thick pair of gloves. I just take the pecks and do what I need to do, but some of them do hurt! Luckily most of my hens tolerate me, but a couple of them are scary :oops:

Gloves and long sleeves.

I've also found they're more tolerant when you reach your hand in from the back, underneath the tail, and kind of 'walk" your fingers up under them. I don't know if they think maybe it's a chick moving or what, but mine accept this approach much better than a frontal approach. I can raise their little bums right off the nest from the back like this and set them down somewhere else and do what I need to with the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom