Eggs

PepperM

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2016
Omaha, NE
Well, it seems I have a girl duck, because I found eggs this morning. I have two Pekings, one small, one larger, born 04/04/16.

Q#1 - how can I tell which is the female and if the other is male/female?

Q#2 - Should I do anything special for her as far as where to lay, or just let her find "her spot"?

Q#3 - If I do find that I have fertilized eggs, is there a good thread to read on what to do for my duck and her eggs?

Thanks in advance :)

Pepper

Congrats on the eggs.

Q1 If you have two ducks and found two eggs it is likely you have two hens. Sometimes they will lay more than one egg a day but that isn't very common. You can sex by the voice. Hens quack and drakes make a raspy, frog-like noise. By now a drake should also have a drake curl. That is a few curled feathers at the top of the tail.

Q2 If you haven't already, put out a dish of oyster shell. Hens need the extra calcium when laying. They will take what they need. You can provide a place to lay but it is just as likely she'll find her own place. And when you start collecting the eggs she might find a new spot.

Q3 In order to hatch ducklings the duck will need to sit on the eggs for 28 days (i.e. brood them). First she would lay a clutch of eggs and then sit. Because you have Pekin the chances of her going broody is low, though not impossible. It is extremely unlikely she'll go broody at such a young age as well. I would advise against letting her brood so late in the year if she does happen to go broody. You don't really want to deal with ducklings in the middle of winter. Do a search for broody ducks and you'll get lots of info.

Congrats on the eggs.

Q1 If you have two ducks and found two eggs it is likely you have two hens. Sometimes they will lay more than one egg a day but that isn't very common. You can sex by the voice. Hens quack and drakes make a raspy, frog-like noise. By now a drake should also have a drake curl. That is a few curled feathers at the top of the tail.

Q2 If you haven't already, put out a dish of oyster shell. Hens need the extra calcium when laying. They will take what they need. You can provide a place to lay but it is just as likely she'll find her own place. And when you start collecting the eggs she might find a new spot.

Q3 In order to hatch ducklings the duck will need to sit on the eggs for 28 days (i.e. brood them). First she would lay a clutch of eggs and then sit. Because you have Pekin the chances of her going broody is low, though not impossible. It is extremely unlikely she'll go broody at such a young age as well. I would advise against letting her brood so late in the year if she does happen to go broody. You don't really want to deal with ducklings in the middle of winter. Do a search for broody ducks and you'll get lots of info.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
smile.png

Pepepr

UPDATE: Unless my ducks are VERY confused, one is a female and the other is a very active male
lol.png
Guess that means daily egg collections :)

Have a great week!

Pepper

Back
Top Bottom