eggs

BRYAN662

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
i hope this is the right place to post this question. if we collect eggs today wASh and refrigerate them. how long will the last if keeped refrigerated? we are trying to determine a (consume by date) to put on the eggs my daughter is selling. thanks for any help

This Mother Earth article gives great insight into storing eggs. I'd hesitate to put a consume by date on them because you don't know how they will be stored after they are out of your care.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sust...ggs-a-Year-or-More-Without-Refrigeration.aspx

Eggs have a coating on them, called bloom, that helps minimize bacteria entering the egg. The egg shell is porous because the baby needs to breath while it is developing. If you wash the egg, you remove the bloom, which could cause the egg to go bad faster.

If I am using an egg myself, I either lightly brush off the egg if it is dirty or wash it and use it immediately. As your daughter is selling them, you may want to wash them, at least the dirty ones. I recommend you either do a search on this site or google it to get details. Commercial operations do wash their eggs but I can't remember enough to be comfortable giving details. I do remember that the water needs to be warmer than the egg or the egg will absorb water and any bacteria or soap in the water.

Good luck!

I have herd if you need to clean them?? you can put a light coating of oil on them. I use olive oil
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom