eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by janedavies, Nov 12, 2007.

1. janedavies

janedavies New Egg

Nov 12, 2007
    Mackay QLD
    Hello to you all,

I am a new member today and reason is we have chickens and are new to it all. I was hoping someone could help me out with a few questions.
    The other day we found an egg, we dont know which one layed it.We have 6 chickens. The egg was in the coop,but our chickens are allowed to roam the whole garden. My question is Do the chickens lay their eggs in their coop or should i look around the yard as well because we have not seen another egg since two days ago. Is this normal.

Please help
    Jane:)

2. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Depends on the bird. I would check the whole yard. I have 2 girlies who NEVER laid in the coop or nest boxes. NEVER EVER EVER. No matter how hard I tried, they laid them on the ground, in the middle of the run. Others are finicky and will STOP laying all together if they do not have a pristine nest box to lay in. So check all areas until you know your girls' laying habits a bit more.

-Sarah

PS if there's anything else, don't feel bad asking questions, everyone here is very friendly and eager to help. You can always pm me too.

3. janedavies

janedavies New Egg

Nov 12, 2007
    Mackay QLD
    Thanks for your answer im just going to have to go on an egg hunt.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi, Jane! Welcome to BYC. I've never wanted to leave the U.S. but I'd make an exception for Australia! Glad to have you.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    You may want to try locking the hens in the coop for a few days and leave an artificial egg or two in the nest boxes. It may help give them the idea.

6. janedavies

janedavies New Egg

Nov 12, 2007
    Mackay QLD
    Thanks for welcoming me to this group its very friendly, with a bunch of nice people willing to help out.
    Thanks for the advice i will try out the egg dropping straight away and ill let you know how it goes.

Oh and what cant chickens eat?

7. jerryobaby

jerryobaby New Egg

Nov 13, 2007
    My girls are not allowed to go outside (the coop / run) to play until their chores are done (eggs are laid). They're usually all done by mid afternoon. That way I don't have to hunt for eggs... my dogs are MUCH more efficient at finding them than I am. They go back inside by themselves as soon as it starts getting dark. This also minimizes the time available for them to poop all over my porch... why they go there I have no clue... dog food maybe... keeps the wife happy.

8. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Welcome and good luck w/ the egg hunt. If you go to the 'search' section (look at the top of the page) you'll be able to find oodles of threads about about stuff they can't eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by