eggs

janedavies

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
Mackay QLD
Hello to you all,

I am a new member today and reason is we have chickens and are new to it all. I was hoping someone could help me out with a few questions.
The other day we found an egg, we dont know which one layed it.We have 6 chickens. The egg was in the coop,but our chickens are allowed to roam the whole garden. My question is Do the chickens lay their eggs in their coop or should i look around the yard as well because we have not seen another egg since two days ago. Is this normal.

Please help
Jane:)

Depends on the bird. I would check the whole yard. I have 2 girlies who NEVER laid in the coop or nest boxes. NEVER EVER EVER. No matter how hard I tried, they laid them on the ground, in the middle of the run. Others are finicky and will STOP laying all together if they do not have a pristine nest box to lay in. So check all areas until you know your girls' laying habits a bit more.

-Sarah

PS if there's anything else, don't feel bad asking questions, everyone here is very friendly and eager to help. You can always pm me too.

You may want to try locking the hens in the coop for a few days and leave an artificial egg or two in the nest boxes. It may help give them the idea.

Thanks for welcoming me to this group its very friendly, with a bunch of nice people willing to help out.
Thanks for the advice i will try out the egg dropping straight away and ill let you know how it goes.

Oh and what cant chickens eat?

My girls are not allowed to go outside (the coop / run) to play until their chores are done (eggs are laid). They're usually all done by mid afternoon. That way I don't have to hunt for eggs... my dogs are MUCH more efficient at finding them than I am. They go back inside by themselves as soon as it starts getting dark. This also minimizes the time available for them to poop all over my porch... why they go there I have no clue... dog food maybe... keeps the wife happy.

Back
Top Bottom