1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Eggs...........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gavinandallison, Jan 1, 2011.

1. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    At long last our Barred Rocks have started laying, 4 eggs in 5 days so far. We do have a Roo though, and when we cracked open an egg today there was a blood speck in it. Showing my apparent ignorance, does this mean my Roo knows what to do? Can the eggs still be eaten?

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    A blood speck is just a meat spot.. That just means that the hen is still working out reproductive hiccups. And can happen at any age or time of their laying years. The eggs are still fine to eat.. I usually just dig the spot out.. Nothing wrong with eating it, it is just a small gross out of the mind.. [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    If its fertile you can eat it. It is fine................

5. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Many thanks everyone!! One was laying as I left for work this morning....... I wonder how many we'll have today.....

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Hey at least you asked. [​IMG] I've known people who turn down free-range, farm fresh, and/or local eggs just because they may have blood spots and are "babies inside."

In all reality the only reason you don't get them from the store is because the eggs are candled and graded to get rid of "faults" like that first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by