Eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GLBRWyans, May 21, 2011.

1. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Howdy all from central Louisiana . Do Wyandottes lay about the same size egg as a Rhode Island Red . I was reading last night and saw that the Wyandotte is in the bantam class . [​IMG] Thanks ever so much in advance for any info !!

2. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Welcome [​IMG] I can let you know if my Wyandotte ever starts laying. She's about half the size of the Leghorn and Welsummer, all the same age. That's why her name is Rudi [​IMG] I'm curious myself.

3. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Howdy P-Funk . Raised a dozen goldens because I liked their beauty . Thinking about raising some bramhas next . Sure hope we get a good full sized egg from the wyandotte clan and thanks for the welcome . [​IMG]

4. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    [​IMG] Thanks for the welcome all ! I can see this forum is going to be fun and informative . Still hoping someone will answer the question about the egg size we will get from the Wyandottes . We are hoping it will be a large egg and not the size of a banny or the barred rock .

Wonderful wife , two mutts , 1 African Grey , 1 Blue Crested Conure , 1 Quaker , 1 parakeet , 10 Golden Wyandottes , 1 RIR , 1 Silver Seabright , 1 Barred Rock , 12 Indian Fantail and 12 Modena pigeons . I am truly a blessed man to have such a wonderful wife !!! Oops forgot about the two pairs of solid white Homers and two pair of Laced Satinette pigeons .

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
  7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! Welcome from western Kentucky! My DH is originally from LA (not Los Angeles, the OTHER "LA". [​IMG] ) Nice to meet you! As for the size of your Wyandotte and her eggs, the eggs will probably be "medium to large" if she is a full-sized Wyandotte. Many if not most of the LF (large fowl) breeds are also available in the bantam sizes. If she is indeed a bantam, she'll lay smaller eggs, but they will probably still be larger than those of an OEG or Silkie. If she is a standard size, she'll lay a nice sized, regular looking egg. [​IMG] You're right as to this being a helpful forum -- there is a TON of helpful info on here, and so many nice people who are willing to share their time and knowledge with others. Besides the valuable information & people who are knowledgeable regarding all things chicken, turkey, duck, ornamentals, and just about any other country - living topic you could imagine, the social aspect of this forum is great, too! Family friendly topics and lots of witty banter & good natured ribbing keep it quite lively! Pull up a comfy chair and let's get acquainted! [​IMG]

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:Was reading the sig line and saw your inside birds -- sounds like a good mix! We have cockatiels (standards, Lutinos, pied, pearl, and Lutino pearl), society finches, diamond doves, a Fisher's lovebird, a peachfront conure, a cherry head conure, and a Congo African Gray. [​IMG] They do keep life interesting, don't they? [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. There are standard and bantam wyandottes. My standards lay large light brown eggs. [​IMG]

10. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    To crtrlovr , yes the inside birds keep life interesting , and to 4-H chicken mom ; I got the Wyandottes at about 2 or 3 days old at the feed mill earlier this spring . I had seen the Golden Laced before and loved the beautiful color . I did not know that they came in bantam and standard sizes . They had several varieties for sale and the little cages didn't specify whether these birds were bantam or standard . It did specify that they were hens . I hope they are standards because we want the larger egg . Bantam eggs are just to small for my liking . Thanks for the warm welcome everyone !!!

Wonderful wife , two mutts , 1 African Grey , 1 Blue Crested Conure , 1 Quaker , 1 parakeet , 10 Golden Wyandottes , 1 RIR , 1 Silver Sebright , 1 Barred Rock , 12 Indian Fantail and 12 Modena pigeons . I am truly a blessed man to have such a wonderful wife !!! Oops forgot about the two pairs of solid white Homers and two pair of Laced Satinette pigeons .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by