eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    got a simple question

[​IMG]

ok these are some eggs i got now, as you can notice the 2 in the center are PROBABLY from the same bird....i was just wondering if jumbo coturnix lay different color eggs

i know they all really lay different eggs, but i think i have a jumbo female in my mix and was wondering if that could possibly be hers (if it is i want to keep them aside and hatch those so i can get bigger stocks!)

just wondering...........

2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I have 2 white birds that lay a whiter egg with spots, not as much blotch.

but, at times, I know their paint dept. puts out all sorts of colors depending on feed, light, etc.

I do like your way of thinking though. I plan on setting only the more uniform larger ones.

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Well the jumbo I think I have does have some white on it so maybe?

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Congrats on the eggs!

Though you can't really tell what color chick will hatch from what color egg. Most coturnix hens will lay a pretty consistently color/size/shape/chalkyness egg. They can always throw you for a loop with a white or other color egg, so don't depend on linking a hen to a single type egg.

The smaller the flock the easier it is to link an egg to the hen that laid it, but coturnix hens are notorious for mixing it up in the paint department [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by