eggs!

supaflyz

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 23, 2012
My quails finally lay some eggs. There is 30 of them. I just put them in with one of the hen so she could hatch them.

In with one of the hens...as in, with chicken hens? I am not sure any of my chickens would sit the eggs for 22 days. But I sure would love if they did!!!

Good luck with yours. Our first batch of our own eggs are hatching as I type right now...we are at 6 of 12 hatched at 24 days...for bobwhite.

Hey, Its great to find the first eggs from your birds aint it! looks like coturnix eggs. If thats the case, they will hatch at around 17-18 days. Thou some folks have some luck with a chicken hen, Its more likely she will break more than she hatches.... Even banties. Do you have a broody chicken? A incubator is your friend plus its a blast to watch'em hatch in a spare bed room or den.... Good luck how ever you go, Bill

Last edited:
How much is an incubator if I may ask. I'm not looking for top of the line or anything. Just something that could work well. Can you make your own? Yes I mean putting it in with a female chicken. I have 3 hens right now that are on the eggs. I left the quail eggs with one of them. Hopefully they will hatch. Is there a reason why quails won't hatch them but chickens will?

How much is an incubator if I may ask. I'm not looking for top of the line or anything. Just something that could work well. Can you make your own? Yes I mean putting it in with a female chicken. I have 3 hens right now that are on the eggs. I left the quail eggs with one of them. Hopefully they will hatch. Is there a reason why quails won't hatch them but chickens will?
Yes you can make one easy if your handy, Iv made a truck load... if you buy one look for a hovabator and lean away from little giant in my opinion. look for a forced air model. (with a fan) A broody chicken will sometimes hatch quail eggs. some do it well. Most will break the eggs getting on and off the nest. Then theres the exposing the quail to the chicken question that is always a touchy subject that Id rather not get into. A "can I keep quail with chickens" search will bring up results like a rash! If you decide to build a cooler-bator, post up, we can help you here... Good Luck, Bill

Thank you Fat Daddy. I will definitely ask for your help when I start on the project. I'm not very handy, but I will give it my best try :)

there are some good examples of cooler-bators on byc incubator sections, thats how i built my first one and it worked great, i hatched 12/18 my first try.

gl, all you really need is a 60watt bulb, a water heater thermostat, and a container.

I have a 60 watt bulb, and a few pc fans. I wanted to ask you and fatdaddy what kind of container do you guys recommend. I wanted to pick an old pc case, but that will be to small. Which water thermometer would you guys recommend?

Back
Top Bottom