1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jujube2, Nov 6, 2013.

1. jujube2

jujube2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Hello,

First flock and first laying hens, need help. We got our first egg 2 days ago, my husband took it from the nesting/egg box and brought it inside. We have not seen more eggs for the past 2 days. Are we supposed to leave the egg in the nest until there is more than 1? I have also seen my Jersey Giant trying to mate with some of the hens and am not sure if he has been successful or not. We ordered 1 jersey and 1 sussex rooster, ended up with 4 roosters. The Jersey, 2 Speckled Sussex and 1 Dark Brahma. Which is the best way to separate the flock of 27 with this variety, hen flock consists of: 2 each - silver laced and columbian wyandottes, 2 new hampshires, 2 each buff, barred and partridge rocks, 1 dark brahma, 2 speckled sussex hens, 2 ameraucana hens, 2 jersey hens and 2 black australorp hens. We have 2 large covered coops with a pretty big run but would like to separate the hens we want to lay only and the jersey and sussex roosters from the fights that have started. I had to leave the jersey in the coop with his food and water today because of the mating attempts and fighting with the sussex until I have a working solution.

Thanks in Advance
    [​IMG]
    Sussex
    [​IMG]
    Jersey
    [​IMG]
    Face-off

2. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Don't worry that you haven't seen another egg yet. She is new to laying so will be irregular. My black copper marans that had been laying for a couple months is still only up to 2-3 a week.

3. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

She'll get the hang of it :) Mine were only laying every 3 days or so for a couple of weeks, now they lay almost every day.
    Very rarely do they miss a day now and they are almost 1 :)

4. jujube2

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the help. Today we got 2 more so we're up to 4 for this week. [​IMG]

5. jujube2

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi,

Thanks, we don't know which of the brown egg layers are laying, just happy they are laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by