Eggs?

You'll probably see eggs within the next few weeks. Orpingtons and other dual-purpose breeds start laying around 5-6 months old, usually. Before they start, you'll notice the comb and wattles getting redder and larger, and they'll start "squatting" for you when you reach to pick them up.

My americana hen is 20 weeks and we got our first egg today!!!! Sooo exciting, I could tell or thought I could because she was panting a lot like she was sooo thirsty when she had water and she was squatting when I would go to pet her also this may sound weird but she kept walking under the rooster like she wanted him to mate with her? Anyways.. I took her egg as soon as she laid it, is that ok to do?

Oh yeah it is! I check mine about three times a day and have watched one lay an egg when I went out and got it as soon as she walked away, they don't really care so much. Lol!!

Is it normal when hens start laying that they may skip a day or two? I have three BRs and all started laying teo days ago. Then yesterday only had one egg all day. Today, no eggs. Maybe their plumming isn't working consistently yet? When should I begin to worry? LOL.

I have 4 brown leghorns, 1 had an egg 2 days in a row earlier and then yesterday and today nothing. The first egg was healthy and second was very fragile, could put a dent in the shell when touched. They free range during day and are put to bed every night, have meal worms for snacks, oyster shells in a separator dish, plenty of food and fresh water. Yesterday I did see one in the cubby laying for awhile but no egg in the end. Any ideas of why??

Is it normal when hens start laying that they may skip a day or two? I have three BRs and all started laying teo days ago. Then yesterday only had one egg all day. Today, no eggs. Maybe their plumming isn't working consistently yet? When should I begin to worry? LOL.

I have 4 brown leghorns, 1 had an egg 2 days in a row earlier and then yesterday and today nothing. The first egg was healthy and second was very fragile, could put a dent in the shell when touched. They free range during day and are put to bed every night, have meal worms for snacks, oyster shells in a separator dish, plenty of food and fresh water. Yesterday I did see one in the cubby laying for awhile but no egg in the end. Any ideas of why??

Well it takes a little while for their bodies to get the hang of it, at first they will skip a few random days off and on for a little bit but then they regulate and you know about how many to expect from the hen a week. Also their eggs can be soft at first, but don't worry you see to be doing everything you should. You might get a bag of feed and give some of that everyday, most feed has vitamins like A and calcium, which the extra calcium should help harden those eggs up. But you might just wait and see if she gets the hang of it first. My girls are in a coop and run (only my boys free range so I don't get any unexpected chicks, lol) but they get 16% layer crumbles, scratch, granite grit, mealworms, and assorted snacks ( they love oatmeal!) and their egg shells are VERY hard even from first lay. At least all of the new laying gals so far! You could always get a vitamin supplement to put in the water too if that's easier?

Back
Top Bottom