Eggshell uses? Lets hear what you use them for

jwalters

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Vinton Iowa
Just wondering what everyone does with their egg shells? I add mine to the garden, my plants love the poo and shell combo

SallyF

Songster
11 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Middle Tennessee
I feed most of them back to the chickens, but have also used some in the garden. Last year I read in Mother Earth News that a mixture of coffee grounds and crushed eggshells would protect cabbage plants from cabbage worms if you mulched with it. So I dutifully did that, then started free-ranging my hens. You would have thought that I mulched the cabbage with chicken candy. First they ate the eggshells, then they scratched around all the coffee grounds, then they ate the cabbages. But at least I didn't have any cabbage worms!

I have heard that an old-timey fertilizer was to put crushed eggshells in a bucket filled with water and use that to water houseplants. Haven't tried that one yet though.

Last edited:

Southernbelle

Gone Broody
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Virginia
Usually I let them dry, then I crumble them up and feed them back to the chickens.

This year, I dried about 2 dozen shells and ground them in the blender. When I dug a hole for my tomato plants, I added about a tablespoon of powdered eggshell to the bottom of the hole. I heard the calcium is supposed to prevent blossom end rot. I'll let you know if it works.

Funky Feathers

former Fattie
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My Coop
I keep them intact except for a small hole (like the size of a quarter) and let my hubby wear them as "athletic supporters", you know, jock cups! HaHaHaHaHa!!

LittleChocobo

Chirping
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon
Crush the shells up a bit and sprinkle a line of shell around the bases of our plants - the slugs and snails won't crawl over the shells because they'll be cut if they do.

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
dry them out, crumble them and add to the worm bins.

ElioraImmanuel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
I put ours in the composter or in the worm bins. We don't have any of our own shells, but we go through about 8-10 eggs/day in this house. Once the chix get to the laying stage, I'll probably dry, crush, feed. I'm not sure I like the idea of oyster shell...too much mercury.

Top Bottom