Eggshell uses? Lets hear what you use them for

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jwalters, Jun 14, 2010.

1. jwalters

jwalters Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Vinton Iowa
    Just wondering what everyone does with their egg shells? I add mine to the garden, my plants love the poo and shell combo

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I feed most of them back to the chickens, but have also used some in the garden. Last year I read in Mother Earth News that a mixture of coffee grounds and crushed eggshells would protect cabbage plants from cabbage worms if you mulched with it. So I dutifully did that, then started free-ranging my hens. You would have thought that I mulched the cabbage with chicken candy. First they ate the eggshells, then they scratched around all the coffee grounds, then they ate the cabbages. But at least I didn't have any cabbage worms!

I have heard that an old-timey fertilizer was to put crushed eggshells in a bucket filled with water and use that to water houseplants. Haven't tried that one yet though.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Usually I let them dry, then I crumble them up and feed them back to the chickens.

This year, I dried about 2 dozen shells and ground them in the blender. When I dug a hole for my tomato plants, I added about a tablespoon of powdered eggshell to the bottom of the hole. I heard the calcium is supposed to prevent blossom end rot. I'll let you know if it works.

4. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    crush them and feed them back to chickens so they won't eat their own..

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I keep them intact except for a small hole (like the size of a quarter) and let my hubby wear them as "athletic supporters", you know, jock cups! HaHaHaHaHa!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. LittleChocobo

LittleChocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Crush the shells up a bit and sprinkle a line of shell around the bases of our plants - the slugs and snails won't crawl over the shells because they'll be cut if they do.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Feed them back to the hens.

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I use them for the garden and chickens as well.

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    dry them out, crumble them and add to the worm bins.

10. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    I put ours in the composter or in the worm bins. We don't have any of our own shells, but we go through about 8-10 eggs/day in this house. Once the chix get to the laying stage, I'll probably dry, crush, feed. I'm not sure I like the idea of oyster shell...too much mercury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by