eggshells as diatamaceous earth?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by leonphelps, Feb 17, 2014.

1. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    read some articles that is is a suitable substitute for DE. Was wondering if anyone used is in feed or as pesticide?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Eggshells provide extra calcium. Some people give them separately as you would oyster shell, to laying hens. I don't know that they do anything as an insecticide. DE will work as an insecticide but only in the stored feed, or (to a point) in the coop, but not inside the chicken.

I don't use DE or eggshells at all. I do offer mine oyster shell. They rarely eat it, and I've had the same small $8 bag for over a year.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Diatomaceous earth is fundamentally an absorbent and an abrasive. Due to the nature of its structure is is abrasive at almost a microscopic level, It is absorbent on account of its high surface area, similar to activated charcoal's high surface area. I doubt that one could crush egg shells as finely as diatomaceous earth exists without simply producing a powder that would lack these characteristics.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by