Eggsperiment

Woke up and 3 more hatched overnight, and then before I was able to get here another hatched! So 6 of the 8 have hatched so far!! This is so exciting, so far this has been very interesting.

Attachments

• PXL_20230324_114559440.jpg
    PXL_20230324_114559440.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I probably made a mistake, and there was no progress with the 8th, so I pulled a bit of shell away to make sure if it was alive in there. It was and it chirped a bit. Gave it more hours, and no progress so I continued "assisting". I removed most of the shell and put it back in, only for the rest to peck at the poor fella. It has been a few hours and it still isn't standing. It definitely seems really weak compared to the others, and seems to have like a bump around it's rear. I am thinking it developed wrong? As I did not notice this on n the rest. I have now moved the other 7 into the brooder as they was all dried up and figured we will let this last one try to come around. I'm expecting the 8th not to make it, but rooting for them! I feel at this point it was a success, as 7 of 8 that developed from the original 9 did successfully hatch on their own and at this time seem good and lively drinking, had a couple eat a few bites out of my hand even. We will see how they do overnight and I will try to get some photos of them in the morning, and will see if this one will make it to the morning. I will try to get a photo of what I'm talking about with the bump, for documentation and maybe someone else that knows more might be able to confirm if it is just some development issue, or I just didn't give it enough time.

Ah it is a Sailnovo one. Seemed to kinda be some mixed reviews on it. Really wanted one of those farm innovator ones. My plan is to eventually get one of those to mess with. Good luck with your project!
i have a sailnovo is it a egg or a egg or a egg? i used mine times now still works altho the fan got alot louder but still pretty quiet.

Hey everyone, the one duckling did make it through the night. This one still looks wet, which is another strange occurrence with this one. As the others seemed fairly dry in an hour to a few. It actually didn't feel wet though when I picked it up to try and get the photo, which I find strange. Maybe someone with more experience has seen this and can shed a bit of light on if this is at all a common thing, and if it works itself out or what. Attached are some pictures of the other 7 that are still seeming happy and acting like ducklings lol. Also a picture of what I tried to describe on the other.

Attachments

• PXL_20230325_142734095.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230325_142734095.MP.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230325_142750119.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230325_142750119.MP.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230325_143016936.jpg
    PXL_20230325_143016936.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 1
Hey everyone, the one duckling did make it through the night. This one still looks wet, which is another strange occurrence with this one. As the others seemed fairly dry in an hour to a few. It actually didn't feel wet though when I picked it up to try and get the photo, which I find strange. Maybe someone with more experience has seen this and can shed a bit of light on if this is at all a common thing, and if it works itself out or what. Attached are some pictures of the other 7 that are still seeming happy and acting like ducklings lol. Also a picture of what I tried to describe on the other.
my guess is that it's unabsorbed yolk sac. They spend the last day or so before hatching absorbing the sac for nutrients. It was probably slower to hatch on its own because it was still in the process of absorbing. The weakness could be a factor also- they build those muscles working to get out of the shell. Since you did the hard work for it, it's probably just going to be a little behind the others. The yolk should dry up and fall off eventually.

Sometimes they don't get all the gunk from hatching off and it dries on them, which looks like May be what happened here. I'm not 100% on if it's okay to get the yolk sac wet or not, but I know with the dried gunk you need to gently bathe them and get it off, and then dry them with a hair dryer on the low setting.

my guess is that it's unabsorbed yolk sac. They spend the last day or so before hatching absorbing the sac for nutrients. It was probably slower to hatch on its own because it was still in the process of absorbing. The weakness could be a factor also- they build those muscles working to get out of the shell. Since you did the hard work for it, it's probably just going to be a little behind the others. The yolk should dry up and fall off eventually.

Sometimes they don't get all the gunk from hatching off and it dries on them, which looks like May be what happened here. I'm not 100% on if it's okay to get the yolk sac wet or not, but I know with the dried gunk you need to gently bathe them and get it off, and then dry them with a hair dryer on the low setting.
Ah, that is what I was afraid of, that I just should have left it alone. It has been progressing today, and actually seeming better, so hopefully it will be ok despite me being impatient! Thank you very much for the response. I do feel better if it is just a natural thing and not a deformity like I was thinking.

Back
Top Bottom