Eggtopsy day 23

Thank you for replying yes I figured it was some kind of humidity issue my first chick hatched early on thursday and began pecking the incubator Friday afternoon so I took it out and I added more water to the incubator..I probably should have waited longer or not added water ugh..maybe I added too much

I’m so sorry about your Chicks that didn’t make it. I’m glad that the first 2 did. I noticed all the liquid that came out of the egg you opened. This liquid does suggest the chick drowned. However, This occurs due to high humidity during incubation. With higher humidity, the air cell doesn’t enlarge sufficiently & enough moisture isn’t pulled from the egg. When the chick internally pips, there isn’t enough air— the excess fluid is what drowns the chick. Again, I’m sorry. But it is important to understand it wasn’t the higher humidity during the hatch that caused this. I’m so glad 2 made it. It will go better next time !

I have had my fair share of those hatches. Its heart breaking I know. Test your hydrometer for next set. Lot of people do dry method . depends on your weather of course. The BEST way to do it is by weight of the egg. They are supposed to lose X much weight (I dont know the #s) . You got some littles so you couldnt of been too far off.

It’s been awhile since I used wt. But, I was thinking 12-13% Weight loss.

Thanks for giving me the idea about the turner motor, after I salt calibrated my thermo/hygrometers, I set up the baton empty and placed one thermo in either end, sure enough it was warmer by 1.5 degree on the turner motor side, I switched thermometers and got the same result..next hatch I will rotate the eggs throught, just not sure what to do at lockdown..what side to put them on or just try to group in the center

If it’s only 1.5 degrees warmer, it’s fine— just rotate the eggs when you turn. I have never incubated on the side. But It worked well for you so far. What humidity were you aiming for during days 1-18? How accurate were your hygrometers?

I’m so sorry about your Chicks that didn’t make it. I’m glad that the first 2 did. I noticed all the liquid that came out of the egg you opened. This liquid does suggest the chick drowned. However, This occurs due to high humidity during incubation. With higher humidity, the air cell doesn’t enlarge sufficiently & enough moisture isn’t pulled from the egg. When the chick internally pips, there isn’t enough air— the excess fluid is what drowns the chick. Again, I’m sorry. But it is important to understand it wasn’t the higher humidity during the hatch that caused this. I’m so glad 2 made it. It will go better next time !
Thank you for the info! It was interesting how wet the inside was but the white membrane seemed dry..I did a salt test on my hygrometers and they were within 1 and 3% I know a few times early in incubation the humidity was low so I added water and then it got pretty high..most of the time it was at 70 but a few times..maybe 2-3 our home heater came on so the humidity dropped and I added water and it went to 80 so then I opened it and soaked some water out, that was middle of incubation I think

Last edited:
Thank you for the info! It was interesting how wet the inside was but the white membrane seemed dry..I did a salt test on my hygrometers and they were within 1 and 3% I know a few times early in incubation the humidity was low so I added water and then it got pretty high..most of the time it was at 70 but a few times..maybe 2-3 our home heater came on so the humidity dropped and I added water and it went to 80 so then I opened it and soaked some water out, that was middle of incubation I think

Great job on salt- testing. I’ve never seen the membrane wet, it doesn’t absorb. But I certainly don’t know everything. If I am understanding you correctly, this was the problem. I’m so grateful you have a couple cute chicks to enjoy.

The humidity during incubation (days 1-18) shouldn’t exceed 45%. You would want to consider your climate. Really dry areas have to add water to maintain 30% often. I have dry hatched at times, but aim for 45% with silkies, or the Chicks don’t turn (not enough room as too much moisture has been lost). It’s only lockdown that should be 65% + (I start with 65% and hit 80% during hatches— as Chicks breakout of shells).

Great job on salt- testing. I’ve never seen the membrane wet, it doesn’t absorb. But I certainly don’t know everything. If I am understanding you correctly, this was the problem. I’m so grateful you have a couple cute chicks to enjoy.

The humidity during incubation (days 1-18) shouldn’t exceed 45%. You would want to consider your climate. Really dry areas have to add water to maintain 30% often. I have dry hatched at times, but aim for 45% with silkies, or the Chicks don’t turn (not enough room as too much moisture has been lost). It’s only lockdown that should be 65% + (I start with 65% and hit 80% during hatches— as Chicks breakout of shells).
Thank you! We live in the mountains so our weather fluctuates a lot, I'm hoping to try and create a controlled environment by closing the heater vent in that room. We actually only had one hatch so I may go get a friend for it this weekend, I wouldn't want to introduce a lone chicken into our flock

I’m sorry, I thought you had 2 . It will be better next time around. My best room was a bathroom counter with great insulation and humidity in that room.

My bedroom is the worst. I also use a sensor push now. It hooks to my phone and shows me the temp/humidity changes throughout the day & night when I’m asleep. I had no idea of those drops.

Gotmezchicks I noticed on your pic with the bator and 2 hygrometers, 1 read 62% and 103.1 degrees and the other 71% & 98.8. I understand that you have salt tested your hygrometers. Is one super slow on adapting to the humidity? (I have one that does this) or do you have a sponge near the higher one/source of moisture ?

I also had one that was off because it needed a battery change. This incubator shows a big difference in temp from the 2 locations. I don’t usually find more than 2 degrees difference throughout my bators. I encourage you to touch base when you start the next Eggs setting. This group is invaluable for helping such things. Due to the wet hatch, definitely need a dryer incubation (not lockdown). The air cells growing properly are a great indicator that you are pulling enough (but not too much) moisture. You can also connect with Hatchers from a climate similar to yours to find what works best for them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom