Eggtopsy pics

Kiwichicky18

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2018
Hello everyone, I’m very new to this... I’ve been attempting my first incubation and started with 6 eggs, at day 8 two had blood rings, and at day 14 two were definitely moving, I wasn’t sure about the other 2. Anyway, I went into lockdown at day 18. Day 25 I opened the 4 eggs remaining after candling and seeing they had all died. two look to be quite developed, I’m wondering if someone might be able to help me with what day they passed. Sorry, the pics are not very nice to look at, I’m trying to learn. Thank you for any advice, much appreciated. I think it may be the incubator, it’s was cheap and probably no good it’s just a wee mini 7 egg one off eBay...

Attachments

• A4131ECA-6B4D-4175-993A-8BBB1A933641.jpeg
    A4131ECA-6B4D-4175-993A-8BBB1A933641.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 4923E6AF-677D-480E-B907-41391178FFBC.jpeg
    4923E6AF-677D-480E-B907-41391178FFBC.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 529671DF-CC7D-4ECE-B7F1-BE22BC90ABA2.jpeg
    529671DF-CC7D-4ECE-B7F1-BE22BC90ABA2.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 27
  • D5F2E01A-31B9-4AF2-A6F5-1D0ECED0C908.jpeg
    D5F2E01A-31B9-4AF2-A6F5-1D0ECED0C908.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 26
I'm not an expert, but did you have a decent thermometer in there? What were your temps all the way through? They actually look like they quit fairly early/middle incubation, I mean none of them look as though there were only a couple of days off. Did you have any incidents happen with the brood at all?

Thanks for your reply L1sa. The temp was set on the factory setting of 38 Celsius, and it remained steady throughout. But it was just a cheap incubator. There is just the thermometer that is built into it. I feel that it may have been too humid as there seemed to be a lot of condensation, but being my first time I didn’t know if there should be condensation or not! I’ve just been brave enough to take another look at my poor babies here are a couple of better photos

Attachments

• FED832F2-8D0D-4A4D-88A7-834DB1069AF8.jpeg
    FED832F2-8D0D-4A4D-88A7-834DB1069AF8.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 16E5368C-FCA9-42F6-9150-AAEC7DE4BE4F.jpeg
    16E5368C-FCA9-42F6-9150-AAEC7DE4BE4F.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for your reply L1sa. The temp was set on the factory setting of 38 Celsius, and it remained steady throughout. But it was just a cheap incubator. There is just the thermometer that is built into it. I feel that it may have been too humid as there seemed to be a lot of condensation, but being my first time I didn’t know if there should be condensation or not! I’ve just been brave enough to take another look at my poor babies here are a couple of better photos
I'm sorry that you had none hatch :( I'd say the incubator was faulty, or it wasn't reading temps right. Maybe you could order some chicks from a hatchery to cheer yourself up? They're still fun to raise, even if you didn't hatch them yourself.
It's always sad when you have to eggtopsy, I'm really sorry :(

I'm sorry that you had none hatch :( I'd say the incubator was faulty, or it wasn't reading temps right. Maybe you could order some chicks from a hatchery to cheer yourself up? They're still fun to raise, even if you didn't hatch them yourself.
It's always sad when you have to eggtopsy, I'm really sorry :(
Thank you feather hearts. My friend who gave me the eggs is going to give me some more tomorrow to have another go. I’ll put less water in and shift the incubator to a quieter place, maybe the kitchen bench was too noisy!! I’ll get an extra thermometer to put in too. If second time around fails I think I’ll get some already hatched babies . This is harder and more complicated than i thought .

Thank you feather hearts. My friend who gave me the eggs is going to give me some more tomorrow to have another go. I’ll put less water in and shift the incubator to a quieter place, maybe the kitchen bench was too noisy!! I’ll get an extra thermometer to put in too. If second time around fails I think I’ll get some already hatched babies . This is harder and more complicated than i thought .

It sounds like you've got it sorted, now the original question, what days did each of your chicks pass?

Picture One: I'd say day 8-10

Picture two: Day 13-14

Picture 3: Days 15-17

Picture four: Day 8-10.
Incubating is a complicated process, and it can be hard to get right.

Question: should the incubator have condensation? There seemed to be so much it was forming droplets dripping down the sides

Yeah, condensation is normal. Is there any way for you to get a humidity reader? I would recommend getting one before setting your next batch. For most of incubation, the humidity should be 40%, and then during lockdown, you should increase it to 65%
I wish you the best of luck for your hatch, hopefully you get some fluffy little chicks!

Thank you for your helpful advice, I really appreciate it. I’ll get a humidity reader, good plan. At least I won’t go crazy guessing the humidity! Does outside noise affect incubation? As in on the kitchen bench with an 8 year old boy running around making 8 year old kid noise

Back
Top Bottom