Eggtopsy question- graphic pic

plb91780

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
I put 12 maran x americauna eggs in the incubator 24 days ago. I eliminated 9 duds as i candled. I couldn't see any development in the other 3 but could tell they were heavier and you couldnt see in when candling.

2 hatched fri night. I gave the 3rd til today. With no peeps or pips i carefully cracked it open.

This is my first eggtopsy so im not sure what im looking at but it seems the chick was fully formed and maybe its abdomen hadnt closed?

Last edited:
I put 12 maran x americauna eggs in the incubator 24 days ago. I eliminated 9 duds as i candled. I couldn't see any development in the other 3 but could tell they were heavier and you couldnt see in when candling.

2 hatched fri night. I gave the 3rd til today. With no peeps or pips i carefully cracked it open.

This is my first eggtopsy so im not sure what im looking at but it seems the chick was fully formed and maybe its abdomen hadnt closed?
Congrats on the living, sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
I'm no expert, but it looks like it was very close and died before it absorbed it's yolk. Next time you do an eggtopsy, pay special attention to the position of the chick while in the shell, that might help you rule out malpositioning as a problem.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom