Eggtopsy surprise (warning: sensitive images)

solidstate

Chirping
Mar 4, 2021
Grant County WA
Warning, graphic images below text.

Context; I put 10 fertile button quail eggs from my birds in the incubator. Lost power early on for 24hrs and eggs got down to 70° F by the time power came back. That was day 4 or 5.

By lockdown, I had weeded out several that had quit early. I didn’t open those but I knew they were not viable.

Day 16, 4 of the remaining 7 pipped. They hatched on day 17. A day late but probably due to the early temp issue.

The remaining unhatched three were fully or nearly fully developed but hadn’t absorbed yolks yet, and hadn’t repositioned for hatch. They had probably quit a couple days before hatch day. Two may have been lethal double pearls, but not sure.

The interesting one, I was surprised to find, had a facial deformity. No/underdeveloped beak. I believe the upper ‘knobby bit’ is the underdeveloped nostrils, it didn’t have a hole even though it looks like it does, and the lower bit is actually the ‘mouth‘. Using a blunt needle, I was able to advance it down the lower orifice so I believe that was the esophagus or trachea.

It’s just an unusual case and I wanted to share for any interested.

If anyone has any insight into what may have caused this I would love to know. I suspect that it may be related to the feed they were being given while I was out of town, which was 18% protein, while usually they get a 30% feed with a small amount of finch mix added. They have free access to water, feed, mini crushed oyster shell, and cuttlebone. They get mealworms as an occasional treat.

If anyone would like to share other abnormalities they’ve found during eggtopsies or in hatched chicks, I am always fascinated by these types of things.

IMG_3903.jpeg

IMG_3904.jpeg

IMG_3905.jpeg

So many people do eggtopsies and I understand why, and this is one reason to in case there's a genetic defect strain forming or to question the feed of the parents or just to see if there's a pattern with quitters at a certain point. One egg I don't think proves anything as in with humans, sometimes we don't have an explanation for why some of us turn out how we do. Kudos to you, but I still can't do one. :bow

Back
Top Bottom