Eggtopsy questions?

chicken_neighbour

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 14, 2011
Hey well it was day 27 so we did an eggtopsy on the two eggs that we thought were alive on day 21. The first one looked like it was about 24hrs from hatching when it died I think as although there was an egg sack still present there wasnt any veins. The second chick died before fully formed we were never 100% sure about seeing this one moving.

The question I have it the membrane was very wet on both the eggs and there was a lot of liquid was this just decomp or was there something wrong in the incubation like it being too humid?? I was so sad to see a fully formed chick (although it was alot smaller to some of the chicks I have seen hatch online) lying dead :'( Gutted that what I once saw alive in the egg had died. It had never internally pipped so was there a problem with the chick as it wasnt 'stuck' with its head tucked under???

The humidity was up to 70-71% (it was as high as the bator went and was put up that high as the booklet that my neighbour was following said to put it up to 75%)

It was my neighbours clutch but I have been researching things for her as her lappy has broken, and I was helping out and looking forward to chicks just as much :'(

It was such a shame they were bought in eggs from ebay and the clutch was 12 to start with I candled them with neighbour and found that 10 were 'bad' speckled eggs and early deaths so that left two, one like I said we deffo saw movement on day 21 and thought we heard some noise but then it wasnt a chirping noise more a clucking so think we may of been hearing her chickens from outside or the bator making a noise.

Could the bad eggs that had stayed with the good ones have 'killed' the two good ones with bacteria??

I dont think so, people talk about, wash your hands before you handle the eggs, do this do that, you know, how dirty is that hen sitting on them eggs, but to answer your qustion no I dont think that bacteria from the other eggs killed them, the USPS probely had a lot to do with it.

Did you run the humidity that high the entire time? If so could be part of the issue going on. That high is usually reserved for lock down of chicken eggs. 35-45% (depending on local conditions) for days 0-18

no it wasnt that high all the time she turned it up when she is supposed to just before supposed hatch day

Back
Top Bottom