Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg? {Graphic Pictures}

Pics
I'm new to all of this and have lost 1 of 4 (today is day 10). I did an eggtopsy on this egg today. I noticed a few days ago during candling that everything in this egg looked odd. Only a small black spot could be seen and the yolk appeared to be busted but waited a few more days to be sure before opening it. Performed the eggtopsy today and this is what it looked like.

There was no odor or blood ring inside the shell and the air sac was still attached. Any ideas what may have happened?

Hello there,

I had 10 eggs on day 9 of incubation today. 7 of them are clearly alive and kicking, i can see they're getting bigger and moving a lot. 3 others i was doubtful about. 2 of them were porous and i couldn't see inside and another one looked like it started developing at the begining and then stopped. Today i opened them up because i was sure there was no signs of life. This is my first time incubating eggs so i hope i'm doing it right.

This one was porous and looks like nothing was happening inside.

This one was not porous and looked like it was developing in the begining but then stopped. I couldn't see any movement and the veins were hard to make out. It was all dark on one side and clear on the other with a clear edge all the way round the dark side You can see the embryo there, i think it had died.

And this last one was also porous. Again, at first i thought i could see some possible veining and movement but it was so hard to make out because of the spotty shell. Then after the initial candling i couldn't see any movement. This one is the most developed. If it was still alive would it be moving when i opened it? It wasn't.

Yes if it was alive it would shows signs of life--its head or body would move, heart would be beating. You definitely would see something going on. I did an eggtopsy on my last batch and had one just like yours. Good luck with the rest!

Yes if it was alive it would shows signs of life--its head or body would move, heart would be beating. You definitely would see something going on. I did an eggtopsy on my last batch and had one just like yours. Good luck with the rest!
That's a relief! I was worried i'd killed it :/ But it was completly still, they both were. Thanks! I'v got 7 left and they all seem to be doing really well. Fingers crossed they all hatch and i get some healthy chicks! :)

One of my chicks started to pip and then just died. I opened the shell to look and everything looked fine untill i got down close to the bottom and there was green stuff on the chick. I quit at that point because i didnt want to get it on me. Has anyone else seen this before and know what caused it?

One of my chicks started to pip and then just died. I opened the shell to look and everything looked fine untill i got down close to the bottom and there was green stuff on the chick. I quit at that point because i didnt want to get it on me. Has anyone else seen this before and know what caused it?

Probably a yolk sac infection.

x2 for yolk sac infection or just a general infection caused by outside bacteria.

If an egg is overly porous, had had the bloom removed or your incubator (or nest box if under broody) is dirty, then it is more likely to happen.

Back
Top Bottom