Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg? {Graphic Pictures}

Pics
Quote:
Yes this is what has happened to my wee guy this afternoon. Head under wing and yolk half eaten with feathers dried out. One chick is fully hatched and fluffed up (see my profile pic) and another had pipped a wee hole and I can see him wriggling around inside. 3 other eggs with no action but if I get two from my first attempt I'm happy I've achieved something at least. So sad, I'd make a terrible farmer as i can't bear the thought of animal dying :-(

Quote:
Yes this is what has happened to my wee guy this afternoon. Head under wing and yolk half eaten with feathers dried out. One chick is fully hatched and fluffed up (see my profile pic) and another had pipped a wee hole and I can see him wriggling around inside. 3 other eggs with no action but if I get two from my first attempt I'm happy I've achieved something at least. So sad, I'd make a terrible farmer as i can't bear the thought of animal dying :-(
I'm the same way, I cried when this baby was dead, first hatch is a rough one, I got lucky my first hatch and had two out of three hatch, my temperature was low though so they are actually three days late. Poor guys were stuffed in the egg

I've never been on a forum before and I hope I am doing this correctly. I have a question: Yesterday morning I helped deliver a shrink wrapped duckling, born alive with the yolk sac still outside the body. It has been 24 hours and the chick is still alive, eyes opening, trying to preen itself and peeping softly and once in a while. The sac looks as if it has drawn up some into the body over night. Is this a lost cause? Should I humanely put it down? or is it possible that it can live? It is still in the incubator at 99 degrees and 77% humidity. I believe this happened due to too high humidity for lockdown 2 days early.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Monavillemare

I've never been on a forum before and I hope I am doing this correctly. I have a question: Yesterday morning I helped deliver a shrink wrapped duckling, born alive with the yolk sac still outside the body. It has been 24 hours and the chick is still alive, eyes opening, trying to preen itself and peeping softly and once in a while. The sac looks as if it has drawn up some into the body over night. Is this a lost cause? Should I humanely put it down? or is it possible that it can live? It is still in the incubator at 99 degrees and 77% humidity. I believe this happened due to too high humidity for lockdown 2 days early.

Monavillemare

I hope its still hanging in there for you. If its not very active, you can try isolating it in a deep bowl or something it can't climb out of or knock over in. It can continue to absorb its yolk, as long as it doesn't rupture it.

Best place to have posted this question would have been by starting a new thread in the incubating section, if you haven't already. It will get more attention there, with the most knowledgeable folks. Good luck!

Monavillemare

As said above, it will continue to absorb it's yolk, sounds very healthy and willing to live, also said above, isolate it in a bowl, it helps to add a warm, damp paper towel to the bowl, as it chirps it will absorb the yolk so encourage the little one to Chirp, you can talk to it or whistle at it

Here are a couple of shipped Maran eggs. Their air cells were completely mangled and these died early on. When I cracked the egg in half - I found the embryos stuck to the bottom of the air cells. Any idea what this means? These eggs were shipped to me and then I let them sit in a cool room for a couple of days before setting them. I checked them at 12, 24, 36 hours and the air cells were still bad, so I kept letting them sit. Finally at the end of Day 2, I gave up waiting on them and just set them. I didn't turn the turner on though and now I'm wondering if the embryo's got stuck like this because I didn't turn them for so long? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated? There are 36 other eggs in the incubator - they were all treated the same and all the others are doing just fine. Incubator settings 50% humidity, 100.0 degrees F.

Nope, sounds like did everything good. Happy hatching the rest of the brood. I have 7 silkie eggs in lock down. Day 19! Very exciting!

Back
Top Bottom