Eggtopsy: What happened to my egg? {Graphic Pictures}

Pics
If chick is alive anc you know they will drown due to humidity and the does
Taking off the shell give chances of survival from drowning. Does it have a chance to absorb yolk. Its day 21 now. No inrernal pip. Temp hit 111 accidentally today but still alive. What can I do to savd these chicks

If chick is alive anc you know they will drown due to humidity and the does
Taking off the shell give chances of survival from drowning. Does it have a chance to absorb yolk. Its day 21 now. No inrernal pip. Temp hit 111 accidentally today but still alive. What can I do to savd these chicks

Probably not much. So hard to just wait. Even if they survived the temp spike it's going to have affected them, weakened them probably. If they were going to hatch they probably would have started hatching early due to the extra temperature. You don't want to go ahead and pop the shell early because it may slow down their hatching. If the humidity was too high for the whole hatch there is nothing to be done but keep the humidity high during the hatching time, they need to have enough moisture to unzip and pop loose from the membranes. Try not to open the incubator until 24 hours after the hatch was due. Good luck!

Hiya I'm new to incubating duck eggs, I've just unsuccessfully tried to hatch some idian runner eggs (tho some may be crosses as I have a rouen girly and two Campbell girlies) I did some eggtopsies today which showed 3 eggs had taken out of nine, one was the size of a jelly baby and another was a little underdeveloped than the picture attached, which was the most developed of the three, I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what went wrong as I would love to add some home hatched cuties to my flock many thanks x

Last edited:
Hiya I'm new to incubating duck eggs, I've just unsuccessfully tried to hatch some idian runner eggs (tho some may be crosses as I have a rouen girly and two Campbell girlies) I did some eggtopsies today which showed 3 eggs had taken out of nine, one was the size of a jelly baby and another was a little underdeveloped than the picture attached, which was the most developed of the three, I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what went wrong as I would love to add some home hatched cuties to my flock many thanks x

The biggest problem I have with duck eggs seems to be related to the humidity- they need higher humidity than chicken eggs. Since I hatch them side by side I usually don't get very good results with my duck eggs. :( I took my duck pen's first clutch of eggs and incubated them myself, then let one of the duck hens keep the next batch. I got 0/14 and she got 19/21! Next spring I will try again and run them in their own incubator with higher humidity. Maybe someone who has better duck egg experience will chime in.

The biggest problem I have with duck eggs seems to be related to the humidity- they need higher humidity than chicken eggs.  Since I hatch them side by side I usually don't get very good results with my duck eggs.  :(  I took my duck pen's first clutch of eggs and incubated them myself, then let one of the duck hens keep the next batch.  I got 0/14 and she got 19/21!  Next spring I will try again and run them in their own incubator with higher humidity.  Maybe someone who has better duck egg experience will chime in.
[/quote yeah I'm going to try another batch and see if I can't hatch any, I wod love for one of my five duck hens to sit on some but the most broody one seems a bit flaky, she'll sit on them for a couple of days convincing me she'll actually give it a go and the. A few days later there are cold eggs in her nest :( she's. A cheeky lady aha x

Okay so it's not letting me post pictures but I was wondering if anyone can help me solve this mystery. I'm beyond baffled. So I have nine eggs in lockdown, and when I candled them on day 17 they were all super lively. Well then I wake up the next morning and one of my eggs has orange beading on it. Thinking it was just water which might have fallen from the top, I went to wipe it off and it was sticky? I left it alone, and later that night I came back and it was COVERED in this amber beading. Now, this was the egg that I was rooting for, he was my liveiest little guy. Finally I candled him, worried, and there was a semi circle on the side of the airsac that cut into the place the baby was going to be? I water candled and nothing. When I was sure he was gone I did an eggtospy and the yolk was broken and nasty in color (probably what ended up on the outside of the egg).
But my question is what could have happened in literally 24 hours to destroy it that much? Can bacteria really work that fast? The rest of my eggs are fine. I even tried comparing pictures on here and couldn't find anything that looked like what happened to him.
I'm so baffled. :/

Last edited:
The biggest problem I have with duck eggs seems to be related to the humidity- they need higher humidity than chicken eggs. Since I hatch them side by side I usually don't get very good results with my duck eggs. :( I took my duck pen's first clutch of eggs and incubated them myself, then let one of the duck hens keep the next batch. I got 0/14 and she got 19/21! Next spring I will try again and run them in their own incubator with higher humidity. Maybe someone who has better duck egg experience will chime in.
last spring I had several 100% hatches on my welsh harlequin eggs, incubated in a large redwood incubator with dozens of chicken eggs. Humidity was about 30% average most of the time, except the last couple days each batch of chicken eggs were due when it was about 60%, then I let it drop back down. I think it might depend on the breed; so far no luck at all with Muscovy

Back
Top Bottom