Eglu Cube arrived! Review with pics

Looks nice and the plastic will definitely be easy to clean.

However, about the wire on the run...the spacing is wide enough so that a raccoon could easily slip its paw between the wire, grab birds piled up in a corner (which is what they tend to do when scared), and pull parts of them out through the wire. I've heard of this kind of thing happening many times. You can easily reinforce it by wrapping with hardware cloth that has smaller spacing, say 1/2" by 1/2", or even 1/4" by 1/4".

Quote:
I am planning to order 1 of these in the next few days. How long did the shipping take? Do all 5 of your girls fit in the coop part? I have 8 pullets that will be in mine and I am going to order the extenstion and let them run around free for most of the day. I am just hoping it will be enough room. If not I guess I could put a few roosts in the run:)

We just put our Eglu Cube up this month! After purchasing two other coops I did what I should have done in the beginning and bought the Cube.
It is ingenious and built like a tank. My hens love it ~ it looks sharp in our yard and so easy to clean.
Bonnie
Salt Lake City

I need a new small coop and have cube envy over here
tongue.png
but am also wondering if anyone has had any leakage problems? I live basically in a rainforest so that would be quite an issue and since the cubes come from so far away shipping things back wouldn't be part of the equation.

I have had an eglu classic in the pacific northwest for around a year and a half with no problems. The only problem I've had with leaking is when it is literally raining sideways and water gets in where the poop tray slides under the eglu--the bedding gets wet near the opening part, but the chickens are nice and snug and dry. All I have to do is slide it out and replace the bedding. which takes about 2 minutes. I am wanting a cube also, as we have gotten more chickens and now some of them are in a larger wood coop that hubby built. It's a nice coop too, but much harder to get really clean. Im doing a little research on the cubes and as far as I can tell. the leaking was a problem with the very first ones and that those problems have been corrected. You might check out the British chicken boards for more accurate info. And also I've noticed that for some reason some folks love to "Eglu-bash", and I'm not sure any of them have ever had or maybe even seen one in person. Not sure if this help you or not. I'm sort of in the same situation!

I have one exactly the same and I love it ... I could not have coped or given my girls such a clean house with a wooden coop... I also have a classic that I use for brooding and it'll be handy as a hospital ward should I ever need it... I did buy that one second hand as a rabbit version and I have bought the conversion off omelet so I have a very vesatile set up and spare parts are so easy to get hold of...

love the eglu's... xx

Alex
thumbsup.gif

Thank you so much for your detailed account of life with the eglu cube. I am on the verge of purchasing one and found it very helpful.

I've had my Cube for just over 3 weeks now. We set it up on our back porch and are using it as a brooder until the chicks are big enough to move out back and for us to attach the run. So far I have found the Cube extremely versatile and since my fiance and I both work full time the ease of cleaning is the best part.
Since I live down south and our temps are in the upper 90s I don't have a heat lamp set up for the chicks which are growing so fast. I leave the lid open in the day to give them light and ventilation and as you can see by the pic below, we have had to get creative and add some bird cloth on top to prevent escape attempts! The little buggers are trying to fly already! Two thumbs up for the Cube, will keep you posted...

I bought a tarp which covers the run perfectly, I did worry about ventilation and heat build up but after a couple of years the girls seem to like permanent shade, it also keeps them nice and dry in a shower.

Back
Top Bottom