Eglu Go - 2 or 3 chickens?

vesper

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 12, 2013
New England
Just got an Eglu Go with standard run set up. It's not easy to find chickens in the middle of winter, but I'm working on it! Anyway, I'm debating 2 hens vs 3. Anyone have one and have a recommendation?

I don't have any recommendations on the number of birds, but someone on here has a thread on the Eglu Go (if I remember correctly). A predator got into theirs and killed their chickens. They had to reinforce the back, or vent, or something. You may want to look for that thread. If I find it, I'll try to link it.

Thanks for the cheery intro to the forum. :rolleyes:

I have read the positive and negative reviews of the product and have done the best I can with my setup to hedge against its limitations. A friend has a wood and hardware cloth coop built like the Citadel and a raccoon managed to get in and kill some chickens recently. It's just a risk we all accept to have chickens. I'm very sorry for that posters loss.

I wasn't trying to poo-poo your plans, I just thought if there was some type of flaw with the Eglu that thread might help you out.

The sources I read said to get 3 chickens minimum. That way, if something happens to one of them you still have 2. Chickens don't like to be alone (so, they say). I got 3 silkies (bantams) and am very happy with the decision. As far as the eglu goes -- It's a very cute coop. But, it sounds like the latch is a problem with raccoons. Apparently there is some kind of attachment you can buy to fix that. How did the raccoon get into your friends coop that was built like the Citadel?

I love my Eglu. I've had mine for a few years now. I have four girls in it. They free range during the day. I recommend at least three chickens. Oh....and welcome! Lots of great information here!

I agree with getting three rather than two. That way you won't be scrambling to find a friend for a lonely chicken if something should happen to one of them!

Thank you for making me aware of the Eglu issue, Joan and boxofpens. Those dumb raccoons and their thumbs... I can see how with enough effort they could turn the dial and open the door. We also have black bears, coyotes and foxes in our area so short of bringing hens inside to sleep in bed with me, I can't assure them 100% safety in the Eglu or any other coop. I can provide them with a good home, lock them in and secure the coop and my yard to the best of my ability.

Memphis: glad someone had a good experience with the eglu! :)

As to the break in at the Citadel: the raccoons climbed 6' up to the top of the run and pulled up the 1/2" hardware cloth between the 2x4 and a small space under the metal roof.

Thanks for all of the advice! I'm going to go with 3 hens.

Last edited:
Vesper- Welcome to BYC. Much of what this forum is about is helping new chicken owners learn from our mistakes so they don't have to suffer the losses that result. If its just a latch problem, hopefully its a quick fix. A big problem is that coons are just about as nimble as people are so many of us have had to resort to using actual locks to prevent their entry. I'm sorry about your friends experience, but it is possible to predator proof a pen, its hard that the learning curve tends to be fatal to the chickens. Aside from that they are cute, I know very little about the eglu coops. If the run doesn't have a bottom , put an apron around the perimeter- a lesson I learned the hard way. Even if they can't actually get into the run from the ground, they can reach under and pull a leg out & eat it, leaving you with a one legged chicken or a dead one. Please let us know how you like your eglu and if it needed work to make it predator proof. It will help another person some time.
With bears, the only solution I've heard that works is running an electric wire/s/ around your yard to keep the bears out of the vicinity of the coop. There may be others. In my area, the other side of the size predator is a problem. Weasels can squeeze through incredibly small holes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom