Eglu Large Cube and Walk-In run

the fact that they sell things to make their coops better instead of just making better coops tells a lot.
Even 5 bantams would be pretty squeezed in this coop.
Hmm ok and its too expensive to get this and find that out tbh. I'm worried a shed won't be insulated enough. Why aren't there just premade coops that actually do what they're supposed to do? I've heard alot of people like the producers pride sentinel one but not enough ventilation etc. There's always something. It doesn't seem that complicated to just make it right...

Yes, if you have bears, best to get ready to electrify! You can search BYC for threads on bears. People in bear country have some good advice. Remember that momma animals often teach their children about electric fences. @cmom has some experience with the benefits of electric fence and momma animals teaching young. Not sure she contends with bears though.
Thank you I'll search that. Its funny we live in a busy populated suburban area and there are bears everywhere. Some seasons we see them a few times a week at random times. They mostly go for seeds or trash but I've seen some sad posts for those that have chickens with just basic wire.

Hmm ok and its too expensive to get this and find that out tbh. I'm worried a shed won't be insulated enough. Why aren't there just premade coops that actually do what they're supposed to do? I've heard alot of people like the producers pride sentinel one but not enough ventilation etc. There's always something. It doesn't seem that complicated to just make it right...
Chickens don't need any insulation what so ever. Unless you live in the Yukon. they just need good ventilation but out of the way of the wind. get a shed and just cut bigger soffits, it's not complicated

Chickens don't need any insulation what so ever. Unless you live in the Yukon. they just need good ventilation but out of the way of the wind. get a shed and just cut bigger soffits, it's not complicated
Even Silkies? (I have ZERO clue, never had any and never will.) I just didn't know if they stay as warm naturally as a regular feathered chicken since they don't have regular feathers. :)

Even Silkies? (I have ZERO clue, never had any and never will.) I just didn't know if they stay as warm naturally as a regular feathered chicken since they don't have regular feathers. :)
even silkies. They might benefit from a huddle box or a wool hen but they're usually fine as long as they don't get drafts.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have 10 bantam chicks, 3 assorted and 7 silkies so I’m sure I’ll have a couple roosters that I will need to rehome (I have a farm who has offered to take any for me). So I’m sure I’ll end up with 9 or less. I’ve heard someone people put hardware cloth on the outside to help keep smaller critters out. How big is the run you have with it?
I have a 2 meter smaller run (the one that attaches to the coop). I also have a 3.6 meter walk in run. The 2 meter run is good if you let your chickens free range, otherwise you need a bigger run (like the walk in run I have). You can put hardware cloth over it, but it is very difficult to put it over the door.

Back
Top Bottom