1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egyptian Fayoumis?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RocketMan32, Dec 28, 2015.

1. RocketMan32

RocketMan32 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2015
    I ordered a batch of chicks for this spring. I live on the farm with my mom. My father passed from cancer and it was to much for her to handle by her self. Anyway I ordered my good egg layers white leghorns. Well my mom just had to order 5 hens egyptian Fayoumis. I have no experience with this breed. Just wondering if anyone has rasied them and have any tips. I let my chickens free range all day and they go in various coops at night for protection. I'm building a third coop for the spring flock and just wondering will these Egyptian hens be a good addition to the farm. Thanks for any feedback. Happy holidays !!

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

They are very good foragers that are very flighty. You rarely see them, which is a good thing for some people. When I can get mine to lay in the nests I find they are good layers from a young age, like four months old.

3. RocketMan32

Dec 7, 2015
    Nice thanks for the info. I been reading up on them. I just wanted some advise from someone who's had hands on experience.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    I've only had one cockrel, and he was CUTE! He started crowing at 28 days of age; beyond funny. I plan to get a few next spring. Mary[​IMG]

5. Free Feather

I got them straight run, but somehow did not get any boys...but one of my broodies just hatched out a Fayoumi/Icelandic cross today, so maybe it will be a boy. I have a Fayoumi/American Game Bantam cross pullet, too. I love Fayoumis because they remind me of Sebrights but less crazy.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What size are their eggs?

7. RocketMan32

Dec 7, 2015
    Ya from what I've been reading. There good to have in your free range flock. It's says they spot predators very quickly and warn the flock. I'm excited to work with this bird. Can't wait !!

8. Free Feather

They are not very big birds- not much bigger than a bantam and mostly legs- so their eggs are on the small side, but big compared to how big you would expect them to be from looking at their size...The ones I get would probably be graded "small".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by