Egyptian fruit bats

melissa508

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
ma
Several years back I knew a pet store owner who could order any kind of animal you could ever want. He got me & my roomate to get an egyptian fruit bat ..to the tune of $500bux..most of the 500 was for the flight.

minimecleocropsm.jpg

bat.jpg

Anways i thought id share my experience incase anyone else has wondered how they are as pets..i kinda think of them as a bird even though theyre a primate..i guess its the fkying thing..

We got anubus as a 6 wk old baby, he was sooooooo rediculously cute i cant even explain it. His face was like a puppy. he lived free amongst the apt & had his dark area in the corner he would "hang" out in.

he ate fruit..he especially loved melon, if youd hold melon in the air, he would come out of his dark corner & grab it. He would hang out..literally on our clothing..we could do anyhting with him hanging on. This bat was so friendly..people had no idea how a bat could be like that.

He was cudly, like a baby & wicked tame. We had him for a few years until my roomys GF decided to boil water with no cover..a no-no with flying creatures in the house & well you can guess what happened to anubus..sad.

But anyways..if you like things that fky & are furry...egyptian fruit bats make awesome pets.

We have them at the zoo i work at . We had to bottle feed a baby that lost his mom .

Ha i actually bought silkies from you a while back when you lived in SC

Last edited:
Bats are actually the order Chiroptera, which according to Wikipedia comes from the Greek root words for 'hand' and 'wing'.

I think bats are so cool, I'd love to have one, but I worry about the legality of buying/shipping/owning them. Did you look into any of that when you had yours?

Actually in the scientific community theyre considered more primate than anything. origionally classified as the only flying mammal they are being considered to be reclassified as primates. When i got into them I was surprised to hear them referred to as primates myself.

We have them at the zoo i work at . We had to bottle feed a baby that lost his mom .

Ha i actually bought silkies from you a while back when you lived in SC

Would that be the lupa zoo? ..if so I was just there a couple of weeks ago..They have the best petting zoo..I LOVE the white deer ..if thats what they were.​

but I worry about the legality of buying/shipping/owning them. Did you look into any of that when you had yours?

Nope It never even crossed my mind..however the person who ordered it for me had acess to anything..he even had a cobra..I supose I never thought of legal repercusions ..oops;)

Yes its lupa zoo

That was my 1st time there, I loved that zoo..they had some cool stuff. Those white deer were so friendly they wouldnt leave me alone..of course i was feeding them goodies.

I like the big aviery with the peafowl ..ect..gave me some great ideas​

Hi my name is Andrea and I was wanting to get a fruit bat. If I would get one what all would I need? And how could I get one?

Back
Top Bottom