Eight against one!

nikischicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
NE/Mid Ohio
So one of my hens has turned into the bottom of the bottom of the pecking order. Today I had to separate her or she would have been a goner. I tended to her injuries and have her in her own spot for the night. Now, I have done some reading here but wanted some suggestions or thoughts, is there any hope at all to integrate her back into the flock without them killing her? Shes over 3 years old and I dont think anyone would want her, they couldnt take her if they had their own flock anyways. She breaks my heart she got so beat up. She ran screaming when I let them out of the pen.

No there is no hope. I have the same issue. I will be your only reply and if anyone thinks they know better then they can come here and reply over me. I don't know if you are trying to get rid of your chickens or something but keep her separate. The only way she can be back on the top is if she wins a fight. Like if she becomes more aggressive but that is not going to happen. I have a pack of 7 months old hens 22 hens. They establishes order of dominance...i don't want to call it pecking order...so I have 1 hen that is the weakest she is being shunned by the others and pushed around. Luckily she learned how to stay away. She always graze by herself. She bathes by herself. Keeping distance from the others. She learned to graze by me because I don't tolerate their domination. She did get into a fight one time and she got bit by the Indian Game she was fighting and there you go she was chased away. Now I have older hens around that I rescued and my young hens just run from them and give them space. But that is what she does she runs away. Sometimes they just attack a hen just because. If they did that to her then don't let her sleep with them anymore. Let her wounds heal and keep her separate. If you gonna give her away be careful...because nothing good happens with 3 year old hens. Also the only time i do not have a problem with pack aggression is when they are free ranging. Sometimes they find a spot that every one likes and they go at each other but fights doesn't last long since they find another spot right away. My hens know when to run and from whom. I would really down play any theories on why they attacked her other than its because they just don't like her.

Im not sure why you needed more information 27strong, as for your message, you're the one telling me theres no hope then telling me it sounds like I just want to give my birds away? If I wanted rid of her so bad she would be culled, I wouldnt be scouring the net trying to figure out my best options.

Anyhooo,
I just read about that pine tar recently. I am going to see if my tsc has some, I have a pbs near too. I wonder if it would work. I cant imagine even thinking of putting her back with them until she is completely healed though, the back of her head got pretty wounded. And the fact that shes so scared of the rest of them, I cant imagine her being comfortable with them again.

I freaked last night when I was reading there was no hope to integrate her back in and put an add on craigslist. A woman wants her but I dont think I can do it. I dont see how another small flock would accept her, maybe but I just dont know. Im going to make a nice area for her to range and see how she does over the next few days. I just dont want her to be harmed anymore, but she seems so submissive now that I dont ever see her putting up a fight to defend herself if she goes back with the rest of the girls.

We recently had a hen injured by a hawk (minor injury to eye, but closed and bleeding). The other hens were trying to peck her injury thinking it was something to clean off of her, but of course that hurt! She was scared of the others for awhile, and we had her sleep separately for a couple nights, but integrated her with the flock during the day. Then the same hen was attacked again! Both times my daughter was the one to see the hawk on her and scare it off. Her old injury was reopened and we had to sort of start over. We did short times outside by herself (with my daughter) and short times with the flock, and increased the time as long as all were working it out, pulling her in if the others got too aggressive or she got too freaked out. After a few days we tried her in the coop overnight and she was on the bottom rung. We had a cold spell and she was back up with the bottom row of chickens after a couple of nights! We have sweet chickens, but they were establishing a new order based on the injured chicken's weakness. As she healed/got used to her new vision in the injured eye, she seemed more able to rejoin the flock.

I wouldn't give up, but it may take some observation and protection if you want to help her reintegrate. The chickens are following their instincts for survival by having the strongest lead. She may need to get stronger or readjust something (her attitude toward the top chickens?!) to be able to fit back in.
Good luck!

Thanks! Thats a good story. Its so strange with her cause she used to be part of the brat pack that gave everyone else crap. One of the hens ran up to her yesterday, hopped on top of her and started pecking her! Like she actively was seeking her out to give her a beating, I was blown away! I wouldnt believe this behavior from them unless I had seen it!

Back
Top Bottom