Either two 15 wk laying or 22 wk old laying 2 per day!!!

Karen 2739

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
San Diego
I am really curious about what is going on!

Twice now I have found two eggs at once broken on the ground. Both are very pale brown with extremely thin shells. My RIR and BO both have laid each day I found the other two and their eggs are strong and dark. What is more likely that two such young, 15 week old BR's are laying immature eggs (although they are normal, small size and look good inside, it's just the shell) or that one 22 week old is starting to lay and lets go of two at a time?? Seriously those are the only scenarios. It also seems it happens overnight and that they just drop them from the perch. I check every night at sundown and everymorning at sunrise, so I am not missing much.

All are eating the oyster shells in the run. The 22 week old that I suspect, possibly (except for 2 eggs at once each time) eats alot of the treats, so I suppose she's not getting enough protein. She's huge, but I've also read that LB's mature fairly late.

Anyone have any ideas? It's a true egg mystery!

Ok I have never seen a chicken lay more than one egg a day. So more than likely your birds are starting to lay at the same time and both laying soft shell eggs. This should clear up in a week or so. They are just getting used to laying. I had the same problem with my buffs my leghorns were laying normal eggs with hard shells and the buffs were soft even though there was plenty of oyster shell and layer feed which has extra calcium in it. I am sure the are fine and it will pass with time. I was also finding them under the roost but they have figured out the nest boxes now. Good luck!

I had 7 eggs from 6 pullets in a 24 hr. period when they first started to lay. Also had a few rubbery ones as you describe, including two one one day. I bet it is your 22 wk old. It took mine a couple of weeks for their systems to sort it all out. I added an alternative source of calcium.

Quote:
This isn't a mystery at all. They are not really laying eggs they are called, pardon the expression didn't name it, fart eggs. It's very normal in the beginning of laying to have a normal hard egg and then a fart egg at night. The fart eggs are always on the ground or under the roost because they are not normal hard eggs.

Back
Top Bottom