Elector PSP: How Often to Use, Safe to Use with Permethrin?

I have too many birds to catch and soak each one. Plus 8 roosters so is there an alternative?
Have you confirmed they are mites or lice? Each bird has to be treated individually with whatever treatment you use. You can dust with permethrin-filled sock, spray with permethrin or Elector PSP, but mites can kill your birds. The coop, nest boxes, and roosts must also be sprayed, and the bedding must be removed far away and replaced. Treating birds by picking them off the roost at night is easier than catching them during the day. I wear a headlamp with a red light to sneak up on them and keep the rest calm.

Hello!

I wanted to post an update incase anyone is ever in the same boat with mites...

The Elector PSP worked FANTASTICALLY. And, it's a one and done... it kills adult, larvae, and eggs, so you don't have to reapply in 5-10 days.

After 24 hours, I didn't see a single mite, so I think the ones I was seeing were dying but not dead yet. So, if you see a couple mites after an Elector dip, don't fret.

I did read that you can spray them under the wings, around the vent, etc, but the soak seemed to work really well. I put 10mL Elector PSP per gallon of water in the sink, soaked her in there for a while, made sure she was nice and drenched, took her out (no rinsing or washing), and she's doing great a week later. Elector PSP is also non toxic to humans and chickens, so you don't even have to wear gloves. I even turned around for a second to turn back and see my chicken drinking the water, and I totally freaked out, but she was fine, and I read it's not toxic to them, anyway.

I'm so relieved, and I hope my experience can help someone out in the future!
Thanks so much for the update! I'm currently looking at treating mites and your update answers my questions and eased my mind!

Hello!

The Elector PSP worked FANTASTICALLY. And, it's a one and done... it kills adult, larvae, and eggs, so you don't have to reapply in 5-10 days.

After 24 hours, I didn't see a single mite, so I think the ones I was seeing were dying but not dead yet. So, if you see a couple mites after an Elector dip, don't fret.

I did read that you can spray them under the wings, around the vent, etc, but the soak seemed to work really well. I put 10mL Elector PSP per gallon of water in the sink, soaked her in there for a while, made sure she was nice and drenched, took her out (no rinsing or washing), and she's doing great a week later. Elector PSP is also non toxic to humans and chickens, so you don't even have to wear gloves. I even turned around for a second to turn back and see my chicken drinking the water, and I totally freaked out, but she was fine, and I read it's not toxic to them, anyway.

Hello!

Thank you krissyweso! I was looking exactly for this info. Unfortunately, I’m not able to find if I can bathe my chicken’s crusty vent area a day after treatment. I treated her yesterday and would like to bathe her today.

Thank you krissyweso! I was looking exactly for this info. Unfortunately, I’m not able to find if I can bathe my chicken’s crusty vent area a day after treatment. I treated her yesterday and would like to bathe her today.
Everything that I read about Elector said that it's supposed to kill adults, larvae, and eggs on contact. That's why you don't have to re-treat your chickies with it like you do with other pesticide options that take longer to kill and needs to stay on the skin.

That being said, I imagine it'd be okay to bathe her vent after a day! Not scientific, but my informed opinion. 😊

Hello!

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience

Hello!

That’s great to hear. Thanks for sharing your elector experience, and glad your girl is doing well!

Hello!

DOES IT ALSO WORK ON LICE?? OR JUST MITES?

DOES IT ALSO WORK ON LICE?? OR JUST MITES?
Yes, it will kill lice too. Lice is much easier to deal with. You can use Permethrin dust instead of the expensive Elector PSP. You can dust your chickens when it's dark and don't need to worry about how to dry everyone. Permethrin dust doesn't work well to get rid of mites for me, but it easily killed all lice. You just need to repeat the treatment in 2 weeks if you use Permethrin instead of Elector PSP, since it will not kill the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom