Elector PSP in Winter

Mistyridgechickens

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2022
Hey all, I have a mite infestation in my poor chickies. I’m gonna get Elector PSP for the coop, and I’m wondering if it’s too cold to use it on the chickens as well. It’ll be upper 40s-50s F during the day and down to the mid 20s at night, and I’ll have to do about half the flock at night cuz they won’t let me pick them up. I’m willing to bring out a hair dryer to dry them off if needed but I still don’t want to shock their sensitive little systems. Also would it mess up the solution if I used warm water? I do have permethrin powder if it is too cold, I just know that takes multiple applications since it doesn’t kill the eggs. Thanks you guys!

How many chickens will you be treating? Sincerely, I hope it's a small flock.

Warm water shouldn't affect the Elector solution. I've successfully treated my chickens by using a spray bottle instead of dipping the entire body, greatly reducing the amount of time to blow dry each chicken.

I mix the solution at one-fourth teaspoon of concentrate to one quart water. Shake well to mix. Then I treat each chicken by lifting the feathers on the neck and spraying the skin underneath. Then I do the same to the butt area, starting at the vent and radiating out from there until the skin on the entire rear is sprayed. Last, I lift each wing and spray the wing pits. The rest of the body, I ignore because those areas that were sprayed are where the heaviest concentration of insects will be, and any strays will eventually wander onto a sprayed area, taking care of those that may have missed getting directly sprayed.

This method should greatly reduce the wetness of the chicken requiring less time to blow dry.

Good luck.

How many chickens will you be treating? Sincerely, I hope it's a small flock.

Warm water shouldn't affect the Elector solution. I've successfully treated my chickens by using a spray bottle instead of dipping the entire body, greatly reducing the amount of time to blow dry each chicken.

I mix the solution at one-fourth teaspoon of concentrate to one quart water. Shake well to mix. Then I treat each chicken by lifting the feathers on the neck and spraying the skin underneath. Then I do the same to the butt area, starting at the vent and radiating out from there until the skin on the entire rear is sprayed. Last, I lift each wing and spray the wing pits. The rest of the body, I ignore because those areas that were sprayed are where the heaviest concentration of insects will be, and any strays will eventually wander onto a sprayed area, taking care of those that may have missed getting directly sprayed.

This method should greatly reduce the wetness of the chicken requiring less time to blow dry.

Good luck.
Thank you for the tips! Lol I have 21 chickens, so I’ll just have to make a day of it 😂

Back
Top Bottom