Electric fence and chickens

DanceswLabs

Songster
Apr 6, 2010
Wake County, NC
Hello,
I am new here and to chickens. I have been enjoying reading and learning on this forum, and now I have a question. I have (had) 8 Leghorn pullets, 1 Leghorn cockerel, 1 Cornish X pullet and three Black Australorp pullets. They are about 12 weeks old. I let them out to range a bit this afternoon. When I put them up a bit ago, I noticed one Leghorn pullet was missing, and then I found dead in the dogs' yard. The dogs were not in there; they didn't do the deed (although my female black Lab would LOVE to; )). We have the fence hotwired to keep my dogs from digging out. The wires are in a double strand with the strands about 8 inches apart. The pullet was on both strands.

Here's my question: can the fence charger kill a chicken? I wouldn't have thought it would be strong enough. Could she have had a heart attack from panic (she is a Leghorn)? Is it the fact that she was on both strands that killed her?

Thanks for your information/advice. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Jeany

I really don't know the answer to your question, but they make electric netting fencing and advertise it for use with chickens, so that makes me wonder. But if she was actually touching both wires then your guess might be a good one. I know large birds, like owls and hawks can get electrocuted if their wings touch 2 wires, but of course those are high voltage.

I am sorry you lost your chick.

Hi Jeany,
welcome-byc.gif

I'm not sure either, I am just delving into the world of electric fences. It does seem that that's what killed the hen, because touching both wires would complete the circuit. I have had Leghorns, and they are squirrely at best. Great layers, but nervous and flighty.

I'll be looking for answers as the pros chime in.

But I mostly came in because.... I dance with my Lab!
big_smile.png
And yes, he snacked on a hen last year. Which is why there are 2 fences between dogs and chickens now. (Bingo is really into reggae,
roll.png
)

I forgot to mention, my Border Collie has to lick her fingers too, ahhh, the taste of fresh warm chicken, raw.
sickbyc.gif

My chickens run with my goats and the electric fence strands are too far apart for the chickens to touch 2 at one time. The fence keeps the goats in, but mostly keeps dogs out, mine, the neighbors, and the coyotes (I hope).

My doggies will never visit the chickens or vice versa, not on my watch at least.

Just out of curiosity, how many joules are going through your fence? Have you ever measured it? Mine runs about 7.5-8.5

The answer is yes, your electric fence can easily kill a chicken. The voltage is for large animals, so any smaller animal can be killed or seriously harmed by an electric fence. Karen

That is good to know. I remember seeing a chart at TSC that showed which fence controller would work for which animals. Since I was keeping goats I was looking for BIG. I will have to go look at the chart again and see where the chickens are in the list.

Ours gives quite a jolt when I touch it so it makes since that it could kill a chicken. I wll have to pay more attention as to how far off the ground and how far apart I place my wire.

We have a strong charger also due to all the different animals we have and our chickens occasionally touch the wire we have 6 inches off the ground, they usually high tail it off the fence but I believe if they didn't move quickly it would kill them. We have had several wild birds that land on the fence with both feet and never leave, for us it's unavoidable if we want to keep out livestock safe from the coyotes. It is an intermittent charger.

Last edited:
Years ago my son had chickens and ducks, we had hogs in 1strand electric fence, it was constant current, one day he found his female duck dead on it, so it can kill ,sorry about your loss.

Ack! I feel like a negligent chicken parent! Poor little leghorn girl (would it be mean to say I wish it had been the rooster?) We will have to set the dog fence lower or switch it with the horses' fence charger. Two of our horses need a stronger charge anyway. The dogs are wimps and could probably use a lesser charge. I think I remember seeing one of those charts at TSC too, and I will go check it out before any more chickens walk the Green Mile in my back yard. Thanks for the info.
Jeany

Back
Top Bottom