Electric fence for chicken tractor

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
I am making some small (4x4) chicken tractors for single roosters. The pens will have welded wire sides. I want to have plastic offset insulators holding multiple hot wires about 5" away from the welded wire. I will connect the welded wire fence to the Ground terminal on the fence charger, and not planning to have a grounding rod.

Would this work to prevent digging predators from getting into the pen?

The ground here is dry and rocky. so the other option is ElectroNet fence around each pen, but that is pretty expensive.

Would this work to prevent digging predators from getting into the pen?
I do envision what you want to construct. My question is,,, what predators are you concerned with.?? They don't want to dig if there is an easier looking option.
The way I see it,, a predator that approaches the tractor would first try to get inside by nudging into the wall. The Hot wire, and Contact with the welded wire would convince predator to search for dinner somewhere else.
Your second option in construction for a quicker lesson, would be to have a 1 to 2 foot wide apron (size depending on predator size) around perimeter of tractor. That would be movable/removable, as you would move your tractor from area to area. This way, predator is already standing on the welded wire, or whatever you would choose to use. That would be connected to ground terminal.
Bait the hotwire to get quicker results. A taste of JULES is very convincing.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Your second option in construction for a quicker lesson, would be to have a 1 to 2 foot wide apron (size depending on predator size) around perimeter of tractor.
@cavemanrich
Mesh laying on top of the ground is enough of a ground to complete circuit...no ground rod needed??

Last edited:
Your second option in construction for a quicker lesson, would be to have a 1 to 2 foot wide apron (size depending on predator size) around perimeter of tractor. That would be movable/removable, as you would move your tractor from area to area. This way, predator is already standing on the welded wire, or whatever you would choose to use. That would be connected to ground terminal.
Good idea! :highfive: The digging predators I am concerned about are skunks, coyotes, and possibly rats. One of my neighbors had a stray dog chew through welded wire to get to her chickens but I think hotwire would stop that too.

@cavemanrich
Mesh laying on top of the ground is enough of a ground to complete circuit...no ground rod needed??
The mesh wire on the ground would serve as the ground portion of circuit. Animal is standing on the mesh wire, and tongue touches the baited hot wire,,,,,,,, and zaaaaaapppppp. Even if its not the tongue, but another portion of body,,, the high voltage of the energizer, and animal gets a zap. The energizers vary in their voltage output, but I recall it is 2,000 to 8,000 volts. The amperage is very low, so it does not kill the predator, only gives a shock. A small animal like a mouse or rat may not be so lucky. Energizers are rated in Jules output. The higher the Jules, the longer a span of hot-wire,fence it can serve.
If anyone ever accidentally touched the spark-plug wire on a running lawn mover would have experienced the sensation. (not pleasant)
In areas where the ground is dry, and rocky, the hot wire is not very effective. The dry ground does not provide a good transmission of current. After a rain, and all things are totally different.
In such areas, peeps opt to run the hot wires slightly differently. Every other wire is a ground wire. With a separation of a few inches, the predator sticking head into area touches one of each wires.
I think this pretty well explains the hot wire operation. If there are any questions, I will gladly explain further. :thumbsup

The digging predators I am concerned about are skunks, coyotes, and possibly rats.
Skunks and coyotes would not resort to digging, if they seen a possibly easier entry thru the mesh wire first. These animals do not analyze situation first and knowing there is electricity, choose to dig instead. They cant see electricity.
Rats would not resort to digging since they see a clear passage thru the welded wire. Any current interaction would convince Big Ben to flee. That is if it did not finish him in his tracks. Small animals can not tolerate same amount of shock compared to larger ones.

Back
Top Bottom