Electric Fence - Help Please!

If they're living there 24/7 its important to know the limitations of the chickshaw concept. The birds are jammed in there like feathered sardines and MUST be let out as soon daylight arrives. :)

I personally, would never use one because I may be a morning person who frequently gets up at dawn but I want my coffee and breakfast before I start my chicken chores.
No different than locking chickens up in a regular coop ! Add an automatic door and the chickens get out at dawn and walk out into a secure electric fenced area while you enjoy your morning coffee.No one has to cram it full of birds lol

For those who live with chronic pain , can't clean their coops as often as they like or just want their chickens to free range instead of be in a run or chicken tractor these are a Godsend !

No different than locking chickens up in a regular coop ! Add an automatic door and the chickens get out at dawn and walk out into a secure electric fenced area while you enjoy your morning coffee.No one has to cram it full of birds lol

No, there is every difference.

A Chickshaw breaks all the space rules -- just barely enough room to get all the hens onto the roost and nowhere for them to be when it's not open.

If you're allowing the usual square footage and making a coop on wheels that's a coop on wheels and not really the Chickshaw concept at all. :D

I have a similar predator load to you. I set a 3 wire electric fence around my coop plus about 2500 sf free range area… my chickens fly over and hang out under whatever tractor, car, porch (garden :he ) routinely so often mitigating the risk of predation is a mute point for me. The coop/run is safe and the chickens do go there often enough to get shade. There are battery and solar units you can use, or electric netting; pricey but more portable.
I kill weeds under the fence line with agricultural grade vinegar (30%). The vinegar kills bracken fern, which is common in Michigan, particularly above 45th parallel, and it is a health hazard to chicken and human due to spore release being carcinogenic.

For those who live with chronic pain , can't clean their coops as often as they like or just want their chickens to free range instead of be in a run or chicken tractor these are a Godsend !
Actually the chicksaw was designed for use in an intensive kitchen waste composting system, powered by un or low paid interns, by a marketing master.

To start get a few of these for the aerial invaders.

Then get a few ED209s to patrol the area.

Last dig a 12' wide moat around your entire perimeter. Add drawbridge.

or

Buy a Electric Fence kit.
Chicken Caravan YouTube channel Setting up Electric feather net / poultry net

As far as using a chicken tractor, if you have the means, I would try and copy Chicken Caravan's Chicken Caravan 10 model. Look to Craigslist for a tiny to mid size utility trailer or water craft trailer. Then build a simple box with ventilation.

I would also make a few mobile chicken shelter from birds of prey. Basically a carport for the chickens. Provides shade most of the time, a place to put a water/feed can and a place to hide when they see an aerial predator.

Imagine something like this but with a sold plywood top and no scene on the sides. You don't want anything from getting in the way of a chicken running for cover.

large-folding-chicken-run3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom