Electric Fence - Help Please!

Thank you everyone for all the help! I think I'm going to go for the electric netting as seems to be widely used. Quick question if anyone knows, can I put pigs in the same area as chickens or will they eat them? Is that a stupid question? 😂 :confused:

Like chickens, pigs are omnivores that eat anything that does eat them first.

We have had feeder pigs on occasion, and have 11 of them now. My chickens normally have access to free range in the afternoons. They freely go in and out of the pasture and hang out with the cows, and into the goat pen with the goats. I have never spotted a chicken brave enough to visit the pig pen, in spite of all the best loved treats being found inside that pen.

A Chickshaw is a portable coop used with portable electric netting.
Not really a good setup for Michigan.

I'm in Michigan
Welcome to BYC! @Karianne
Come on over the MI chat thread.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1658428798887.png

A Chickshaw is a portable coop used with portable electric netting.

A Chickshaw is specially designed for a specific management system which absolutely depends on the farmer being able to open it at dawn regardless of what else is happening in his life and absolutely depends on weather NEVER preventing the chickens from making use of their run.

It's not a coop, really. It's a secured roost with nestboxes. There is no margin for error in it.

A Chickshaw is specially designed for a specific management system which absolutely depends on the farmer being able to open it at dawn regardless of what else is happening in his life and absolutely depends on weather NEVER preventing the chickens from making use of their run.

It's not a coop, really. It's a secured roost with nestboxes. There is no margin for error in it.
They need shelter in a portable fence.

Edit: These are perfect for seasonal use with electric netting.

They need shelter in a portable fence.

If they're living there 24/7 its important to know the limitations of the chickshaw concept. The birds are jammed in there like feathered sardines and MUST be let out as soon daylight arrives. :)

I personally, would never use one because I may be a morning person who frequently gets up at dawn but I want my coffee and breakfast before I start my chicken chores.

Back
Top Bottom