Electric fence opinions

Pics
I have a question for the pros who are using electric wire/fencing. I have a fox issue and all my animals are penned.
I'm using this (attached pic) for the shock effect - but do I need more output to be more effective? I couldn't tell you if the fox has touched this, but I touched it with a gloved hand and while unpleasant - I was thinking it wasn't that hurtful.
My pen is 20x20.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210901-154329_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901-154329_Brave.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 3
I'll have to get a tester and try this. Our soil is very rocky/gravelly, and last year it was so dry..that may have been part of it. TX for the suggestion!

I have a question for the pros who are using electric wire/fencing. I have a fox issue and all my animals are penned.
I'm using this (attached pic) for the shock effect - but do I need more output to be more effective? I couldn't tell you if the fox has touched this, but I touched it with a gloved hand and while unpleasant - I was thinking it wasn't that hurtful.
My pen is 20x20.
A tester will let you know if its working at full capacity.You need to test the ground as well.

A tester will let you know if its working at full capacity.You need to test the ground as well.
Ok. Yeah, its testing well. I just tested it out last night and the tester registered at the top - which shows 7000 V. I guess I was worried that it wouldn't be strong enough. Of course i didn't grab onto the wire. Just brushed it while grabbing at some grass that i had tossed got caught on the fence.

My pen is 20x20.
A predator would get used to the zap because it isn't very strong. My suggestion would be to get a tester and see what the voltage of your wires are. In my opinion you need at least 7000 volts to be effective against most predators. My wires are 10,000+ volts on average. I guarantee nothing gets past them but that is the idea. I want them to hurt so they will learn that whatever is on the other side of the wires isn't worth getting zapped for. Good luck...

This is what I use as a tester. I have several and they do not all read the same voltage. These are the testers I use. I also have some with the lights but I like the digital ones. Good luck...
FenceTester.jpg Tester.jpg

This is what I use as a tester. I have several and they do not all read the same voltage. These are the testers I use. I also have some with the lights but I like the digital ones. Good luck...
View attachment 2819913View attachment 2819910
I have this one. It registered up to the 7K mark when I tested it, but I'm not sure of the accuracy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210902-125425_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20210902-125425_Brave.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 2
My pen is 20x20.

Ok. Yeah, its testing well. I just tested it out last night and the tester registered at the top - which shows 7000 V. I guess I was worried that it wouldn't be strong enough. Of course i didn't grab onto the wire. Just brushed it while grabbing at some grass that i had tossed got caught on the fence.

I have this one. It registered up to the 7K mark when I tested it, but I'm not sure of the accuracy.
If your ground tested for the maximum amount you've done everything correctly. Not everything stands on the ground AND touches the hot wire at the same time .Some leap from the ground or a tree and will climb the fence. Predators only have to touch a hot wire and a ground wire at the same time to get zapped if you alternate your wiring and run both on the fence.It can take twice as much wiring to run this type but it'll stop more.

Back
Top Bottom