Electric fence opinions

I can say I did purchase the premier fencing and love it. It puts out 8kV with a pulse. Chickens have tested it multiple times, squalk and fly off. Not harmed at all. Just butthurt lol. It would not stop a bear. There is a great utube video of a bear testing a electric fence around his pigs. He explains in detail how he set it up. Good luck.

Hi everybody, moving to a new area that has a bear problem. I would love to continue free ranging my hens during the day and have an electric fence setup to protect their run and hen house at night. I know next to nothing about electric fencing but would one of the continuous output chargers would be a good option to offer them protection while in their run? I also don’t want to electrocute the hens if they hit the fence. I assume the charger has to be powerful enough to deter a bear. I just hope the bears prefer the neighbors trash. I understand the risks to free ranging and that bears do come around during the day so the fence may be a waste but want to try. Thanks in advance!
Make sure you fence charger is strong enough to give whatever predator touches the wires will get a good shock so it will hurt. My electric wires average around 10,000+ volts and it will hurt when touched. If the voltage is too low the predators will realize this that it only tingled and will go right through it. It will not hurt the birds. Their feathers are good insulators. On rare occasions I have had a bird out and it has touched the wires with no ill effects but I don't free range due to too many losses in the past so now my birds all have nice large pens. Good luck...

Make sure you fence charger is strong enough to give whatever predator touches the wires will get a good shock so it will hurt. My electric wires average around 10,000+ volts and it will hurt when touched. If the voltage is too low the predators will realize this that it only tingled and will go right through it. It will not hurt the birds. Their feathers are good insulators. On rare occasions I have had a bird out and it has touched the wires with no ill effects but I don't free range due to too many losses in the past so now my birds all have nice large pens. Good luck...
Thanks so much for the info cmom! :highfive:

I can say I did purchase the premier fencing and love it. It puts out 8kV with a pulse. Chickens have tested it multiple times, squalk and fly off. Not harmed at all. Just butthurt lol. It would not stop a bear. There is a great utube video of a bear testing a electric fence around his pigs. He explains in detail how he set it up. Good luck.
Thank you SCMommaHen! :frow

On the subject of fence chargers, I think I want a solar charger with an external battery. I am not familiar with any of them and all the numbers make my head swim.

Question is, do I need one with an external batt. or will one with an internal batt. do the job and last a good long time. I don't want a wimpy one nor do I need something that will make a grizzly bear speak in tongues after being zapped.

I have a small area to protect and my biggest problem will be during the daytime from stray dogs. The hens will be in a sturdy coop at night.

Any recommendations and/or links would be helpful.

Hi everybody, moving to a new area that has a bear problem. I would love to continue free ranging my hens during the day and have an electric fence setup to protect their run and hen house at night. I know next to nothing about electric fencing but would one of the continuous output chargers would be a good option to offer them protection while in their run? I also don’t want to electrocute the hens if they hit the fence. I assume the charger has to be powerful enough to deter a bear. I just hope the bears prefer the neighbors trash. I understand the risks to free ranging and that bears do come around during the day so the fence may be a waste but want to try. Thanks in advance!
Feathers protect chickens but if one jump on the wire or touches it with any part of their body that doesn't have feathers ( comb or wattles) thats a different story.A bears fur protects it much the same way .Once a bear touches the wire with its nose or mouth and gets zapped it won't be back.

On the subject of fence chargers, I think I want a solar charger with an external battery. I am not familiar with any of them and all the numbers make my head swim.

Question is, do I need one with an external batt. or will one with an internal batt. do the job and last a good long time. I don't want a wimpy one nor do I need something that will make a grizzly bear speak in tongues after being zapped.

I have a small area to protect and my biggest problem will be during the daytime from stray dogs. The hens will be in a sturdy coop at night.

Any recommendations and/or links would be helpful.
My recommendation is if you have power an AC fence charger is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom