Electric fence suggestions?

leighks

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Western New York
My Coop
My Coop
Does anyone have suggestions for types/ brands of electric fence? Due to the large number of foxes in our area I would like to add it to the perimeter of the run. The run is fenced with both hardware cloth and galvanized fencing and the hardware cloth is buried about 2 feet down. Seems pretty secure, but as a first time chicken owner I don't want to take any chances! Thanks.

Can you post a photo of your run and setup?

I'm probably the biggest advocate of electric fences on BYC, but having said that, as you describe things, you may not need an electric fence.

Now if you decide to open the door and let them out to a larger yard area................

I agree some photos would help. How big is your run? Is it covered? Can critters get to your run through trees or climbing over the coop? If you have foxes you have a lot of other critters to worry about in New York. Foxes can climb a lot better than people think but so can other critters.

Electricity is a huge deterrent, it really works well when set up properly. From what you describe one hot strand at the top of the run would probably do a lot of good, but there may be better options. In some set-ups you may have other vulnerabilities.

IMG_1531.JPG
The run is 16'X8', the top is covered with the same hardware cloth and wire fence as the rest of the coop and the half of the run next to the coop has a roof on it. The reason there are 2 fence layers is because at 1st I thought a galvanized fence would be enough, but after it was put up I discovered hardware cloth is much better so we added that over the other fencing. It is pretty secure, but I'm concerned about anything digging under. That's why I'm thinking of adding the electic fence and wondered what others thought.

With wire buried two feet deep, it is unlikely that anything would dig that deep even dogs would stop before they went that deep. I like the double layer fence. While it looks like you are better protected than most, if you want electric protection, hot wires top and bottom spaced around 4" apart is great for most critters. Raccoons might climb up the side next to the coop and get on the roof, double hot wire there would stop that. Then make sure you have a big enough energizer to give a hefty jolt, that will stop them from trying fairly quickly. I like the Stafix energizers, the more miles of fence it will run the better. I consider 2 joules the minimum, but I have coyotes, foxes, raccoons and opossum to deal with as well as dog packs.

I agree. Looks like a strong and sturdy setup as it. If 99% of the coops on BYC were built as well we might not need a predator forum.

Is that a cement block foundation with maybe a cement floor? If so, that is pretty much bomb proof to all, including rats living in the floor below.

How is the run fence attached to the side of the building? Can a coon pry it off and get past the posts?

How is that sliding door on the main building secured? Can anything pry it open?

You may want to hold off on any electric fence until such time as you decide you want to let them out of the run and allow for some yard time.

IMG_1655.JPG
IMG_1656.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG
IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG
Thank you!! We busted our butts converting the outbuilding into a coop and constructing a run.

We are fortunate that the coop has a thick concrete floor and cinderblocks at the foundation and very thick tongue and groove wood walls. The roof is a corrugated metal roof. The sliding door on the coop is secured by 4 latches- 2 on each side and all are at the bottom to keep anything from prying the bottom of the door up. It's a very heavy door that has to be pulled straight out and then slid to the side to open. The windows are covered in hardware cloth secured with washers. The fence and hardware cloth go over the entire top of the run also.

Most of the posts for the run are just about right up to the coop wall, and just to be safe my husband continued the hardware cloth from the posts to about 6" of the coop wall and used washers to secure it. The run door has a concrete pad poured about 2' deep, and hardware cloth is buried around the rest of the coop about 2' down and slightly angled outward, like a a small apron. The door to the run is pretty flush to the frame, and we have a slide latch with padlock for that.

I am working on building them a chicken tractor so they can get some grass and yard time, but I don't think they will truly free range. My neighbor lost half his flock (40!!) to predators while free ranging last summer. This is our first year here so I'm being cautious.

Thanks for all the feedback, and I'm always open to suggestions after posting pics to keep my flock safe!!

With such a setup I would be able to concentrate on rodent and disease management. Nutrition would also be a bigger concern as all nutrition would have to be supplied. Another way to have fun.

If you have bears, wolverines or my kids; then electric fencing may still be worth investment.

I have 34 acres and a lot of predators on the edge of our woods we have CD on a string with a swivel on it. That helps with areal attacks and predators freak by it. also putting music on scars foxes because they are scared of humans

Back
Top Bottom