Electric Fence with Chickens

Ilovemyladies! :

We are getting an electric fence for our horses. Will it be okay for my chickens to be near it??

I have a wire that comes off my horse pasture and goes around the outside of our chicken run. Its about 1O inches off the ground. Ive not lost a bird to my hotwire and so far its kept predators out of my run​

Just this week, we installed electric lines to keep dogs out. The chicks don't seem to notice it. In some areas, the lowest line is high enough for them to walk under (we're going to add chicken wire inside the electric) and all I saw contact the line was the tail feathers, so I assumed if the body hits the line, they'll get a jolt. This morning, however, one actually stepped on the lower line and didn't seem to notice anything. Her BODY did not touch a line, so maybe their feet are also insulated enough. I did check the spot she stepped on, and it was fully charged.

Not sure if this is true or not but I read somewhere that the chickens won't get shocked because they don't ground like other animals do. Something about how their bones are hollow. Like I said, not sure if this is true but I haven't lost a chicken to my electric fence yet either. I love how it keeps the neighbor's dogs away also. Haven't lost one to them yet either.

Back
Top Bottom