Electric fence

dauvau

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Having trouble with something killing pheasants.
Put up two strands of electric fence and hooked it up
There's power to the energizer, the light is flashing on and off.
Tested with a piece of insulted wire and it sparks. But just a small spark.
But the cats are weaving in and out of the wire with no shock.
Dogs seem to be brushing up against it, no shock!
We used the same emergizer last year to teach the rat terriers to leave the keets alone worked great.

Do you have a good ground on your fence? Also, some electric hot boxes, most in fact, need to be indoors or where it is dry.

The wire has to touch skin. I watched a skunk dig underneath my hot wire when I only used one...his fur did not conduct. lol Now I have a very low wire and attach the ground to the fence.

It sounds to me like you have a grounding issue. Are you using a grounding rod thats in the driven into the ground good? Also make sure the fence is not touching anything that will reduce your voltage also. Hope you get it worked out electric fences can be very trying on the nerves when they are'nt working properly.

One or more of four things could be happening.
1. poor ground. Drive your ground poles deeper and soak the ground around them. The ground must be wet. 2. The ground under the wire is dry. Soak this ground also. I have a sprinkler system around my outer fence where the hot wire is. If the ground is dry, the wire is not charged correctly. 3. There is some vegetation touching the hot wire, if this happens the hot wire is grounded out. 4. Your hot wire is touching the fence wire. Check those out and it should work.

Back
Top Bottom