electric fencing for predator control/control ideas

My husband says no to the electric fence. :-( but he does pee on the tree near their coop for me.
Does he also pee on the fence???.. Maybe I know why he objects electricity..
electricity_wins_every_battle_against_humanity_10.gif

Does he also pee on the fence???.. Maybe I know why he objects electricity..
View attachment 2917964
Lmao, no he does not pee in the fence. He objects because he thinks I am getting overly obsessive and spending too much money on three chickens. He thinks it would be cheaper just to get more chickens if these ones get killed. I don't see it that way because I feel as though the predators will just keep coming back and killing chickens once they realize there is an easy meal.

You are correct. Once a predator makes a kill they will keep coming back and lurk looking for an opportunity. Lessons learned the hard way. Now nothing messes with my birds with the electric wires up. Good luck...

They know the electric wires are around the coops and pens.

Not sure if this is an option, but we use lgds to guard against predators. They are a great deterrent, but if a predator gets in their "territory" it's usually a pretty quick solution.
We have 9 Anatolian Sheppards, granted they have a sheep and goat herd to protect as well and a lot of area to patrol. They do it with minimal training. A single or preferably pair will stop anything short of a mt lion or bear.

Not sure if this is an option, but we use lgds to guard against predators. They are a great deterrent, but if a predator gets in their "territory" it's usually a pretty quick solution.
We have 9 Anatolian Sheppards, granted they have a sheep and goat herd to protect as well and a lot of area to patrol. They do it with minimal training. A single or preferably pair will stop anything short of a mt lion or bear.
I wish! That would be great!, But I only have a half acre and I live near a street, so I don't think it would work well. I would absolutely love to have big dogs though

I have 10 cinnamon queen chickens. To solve our racoon problem, I installed a 2 wire electric fence. The bottom grounding wire is about 5" above ground with several 6' deep copper stakes attached. The upper charging wire is about 10" above ground. The 500' fence charging machine packs quite a wallop for the 100' fence around my chicken coop. I keep the grass in front of the fence cut low, so the racoons have good grounding. Since last February after the installation, I've had no racoon problem.

I , totally agree withthat. I had a rescue LGD for 3years until she got cancer. Never lost a chicken, all chickens freeranged on 2 acres. She slept in the open or in the barn. Sure miss tht gal.

Back
Top Bottom