Electric fencing question

Scoobr32

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2017
I have bought premier one and now I have a kencove portable poultry fence. My problem is my donkey takes it down EVERY time. I want to add some juice to keep him off. How many joules should I use and do I have to stay with kencove for the charger or will any charger work?

I have bought premier one and now I have a kencove portable poultry fence. My problem is my donkey takes it down EVERY time. I want to add some juice to keep him off. How many joules should I use and do I have to stay with kencove for the charger or will any charger work?
I use a 1 joule on mine and got it with the fence. Read the premier 1 safety bulletins as there are chargers out there not compatible with the fence that have started fires.

So you have the fence netting, but did not install a fencer to charge it? If so, you have essentially the same thing as any other fence, and not a good one at that. To make it effective, it has to be hot (wired to a fence charger). BTW, horses are some of the easiest animals to train to electric fences. I'd think a donkey would be the same. Easy to train and contain.

Depending on the size of your fence (80 or 160 feet......or more of them tied together), most fence chargers rated for 5 to 10 miles of fence should work for you. There are two ratings used......some companies use the more technical one........joules........ other companies use the rating for dummies.......miles of fence.

In the end, you want the fence you setup to test at at least 7,000 volts on a pulsing charger. There are a lot of options and you can buy these locally at TSC or farm supply stores, etc.

This link explains the fire hazard:

https://www.premier1supplies.com/sheep-guide/2016/08/fire-using-continuous-current-fence-chargers/

Recently learned the importance of the charger grounding system . Very important !

Back
Top Bottom