Electric netting sources

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cheirogloss, Jan 28, 2010.

1. cheirogloss

cheirogloss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Lenoir, NC
    I want to buy some of the movable electric netting that free-range operations often use to corral their birds. Does anyone have a good source for the netting? I looked online and feel that the first couple hits from google were wildly more expensive than what I thought it would be. I mean, if it costs as much as I was finding then how do all the little organic farms and hobby growers afford what is apparently several thousand dollars worth of the stuff? I just always viewed it as a more affordable option, which may be a misconception on my part. If you use electric netting, where did you get yours?

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    cheiroglas,

I do not use it but I saw it at Tractor Supply in my nearest town.

Gerry

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, it is pretty expensive compared to, like, chickenwire or a couple bare electric wires. It is cheap relative to more useful things, though [​IMG]

The main sources I know of are www.premier1supplies.com and www.kencove.com - in the U.S., you are unlikely to beat those prices in an acceptable quality product. Premier's is roughly $175 for a 160-ft roll (you can also buy half-length rolls for about half-price); I am not sure of kencove's prices (I've only bought it from premier).

Organic and hobby farms afford it by deciding it is worth the money -- neither of those are usually low-startup-cost things anyhow [​IMG] What it's more affordable than is PERMANENT predatorproof fencing in a bajillion little rotational paddocks. It is not cheaper than a small run attached to the coop, or free-ranging, though [​IMG]

Most backyard flock owners are not going to need more than a roll or two of it, though, max. Which is not that bad - two rolls would be a smidge over $300 plus maybe $80-200 for the charger (unless you can simply attach it to an existing livestock fence charger, which is what a whole lot of people do, thus not having to buy a separate unit).

You do want to make sure you undestand its idiosyncrasies before committing to it -- the ground under the fence needs to be kept shaved to the ground (ie. move the fence whenever the grass grows up a bit, and mow, and reset the fence -- easy, but you HAVE to keep up with it) and it is vulnerable to wind and ice unless tied back very stoutly with extra posts, and it is not a useful fence in snowy times of the year.

But for rotational grazing of a well maintained pasture it really is great and a big money-saver.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    The Premier One electric net fence works for me. I started with one roll and put my coop on wheels. It keeps out predators, livestock and dogs. I picked up several more rolls and an energizer with a solar panel off of craigslist. I can't imagine how long it would take to build 300 feet or so of fencing, but we can stake out and mow an area, move the coop, and set up two rolls electric netting in less than an hour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by