1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

electric poultry netting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LadyLuck, Feb 19, 2013.

1. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    sigh, alas, my girls enjoy roaming so much, but I have noticed that they are getting too brave and going to our neighbors yards and leaving gifts on their walks and driveways. Silly girls don't know they have 3 acres here at home, so stay put!

Anyway, I'm thinking seriously about some electric poultry netting to give them a very large area to roam without letting them become nuisances.

Does anyone use the poultry netting? does it work? why don't they just fly over it?

is there any easier solution? (one strand of electric fence right at chest level?)

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I have 400' of electrified poultry netting from Premier. The fence comes in 2 different heights, colors (Green or white), several different lengths, different support pole spacing. You can either power it up with household current, or solar. I have the PoultryPlus netting, it is 4' high, the posts are closer together, which supports the fence better and is less likely to sag. It is a very easy fence to install, just unfold it, stand it up and step it in. I had one bird go over the fence, the first day it was up. I clipped one of her wings, and have not had any of them go over since. The fence will have been up a full year next month. I used to let my birds freerange all over the place. But, the resident foxes made that a risky thing to do. The fence has been probably the best investment I made for the safety of the chickens. The fox are still around, but they are no longer a threat to the chickens anymore. Check out Premier's website, give them a call, they are good people.
    Jack

[​IMG]

3. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    very helpful info, thanks SO much.

4. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Interesting, I am thinking of this to surround my garden...Thanks for the info.

5. jojomojo

jojomojo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    We have the same fence as JackE - love it! We only have 100' of it right now, but definitely plan on buying more. We only had one chicken that would fly over every once in a while. For the most part, I think they WANT to be in the fence. The girl that would fly over would pace frantically around the fence trying to find a way back in, silly bird. The reason I speak in a past tense is she flew out one too many times. Our neighbors dogs (two big pit bull crosses) saw her out of the fence one day and dug their way under the fence (between our yards) and got her. I kick myself for not getting around to clipping her wings :( Those dogs stayed on their side of the electric fence though ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by