Electrolyte concentration

Big_Charlie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Fulton, KY
I know there's a debate over whether to give an electrolyte supplement to new chicks, but I've decided that the little boogers could probably use a pick-me-up after two days packed together in a cardboard box. My questions is this...my electrolyte solution shows two concentrations, one is 1/8-1/4 tsp per quart and the other is 1tsp per quart. There are no antibiotics in this supplement, just vitamins and good gut bacteria. Which concentration should I use?

Also, what concentration of bleach solution should I use to sanitize the watering cans?

Thanks!

Big Charlie

* I can't help with the electrolytes, except to say that with chickees,a weaker solution is probably better. As far as the bleach goes-- most people used way, WAY too much. You know that new 'anywhere' sanitizer spray in the light blue bottle that you pay 4 bucks for?? It only has about 1.2 ml of bleach in it. That's an eyedropper full-- and it says it kills 99% of stuff.

Last edited:
Bleach .... 1/2 tsp in a gallon of water is more than enough.

Electrolytes are good for the manufacturers, chickens don't need 'em. Unless you have a dehydrated chicken.

If you are worried about them after transport, then watch to see if they are drinking. If they are, no worries, save the money and buy more chicks.

I didn't use the electrolytes. I used 2 tsp. of sugar to one liter of warm water for the first two days, as recommended by a local farmer, and my chicks have all done great! I have ordered more chicks, but got them from Cackle Hatchery this time. I was reading their instructions and they recommend that you give the sugar water as well. They have some good starting out instructions on their website. If interested, check them out! As for the bleach, I have been scared to use it. I just rinse my waterer out with vinegar and warm water every few days. That has worked well. Good luck with your new babies!
smile.png

Quote:
Yes, the sugar gives a fast energy boost.

You will be fine with bleach, and the smell doesn't hang around like vinegar, which will not kill germs nearly as effectively as bleach
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom