Electrolytes and Probiotics, How often?

I MIGHT offer electrolytes in the water for a few days for chicks that were shipped in, if they look stressed. Generally I offer fresh water and a good chick starter, or Flock Raiser, and nothing else. There are probiotics in the feed, and the packaged electrolytes I've seen have been mostly salt. That might be okay to encourage drinking at first, but not so good otherwise. Mary,

I have used home made electrolyte/gatorade solution for my birds in the stress of super hot days. It seems to have made a huge difference (prior to offering it on the first super hot day, my young birds (12 weeks old) were actually stumbling, and were back to normal within an hour of having the electrolyte.

Probiotics, and electrolytes are good to deal with shipping, hatching stress, or any stress for that matter. But, you can make your own electrolytes: do a google search for home made lytes or gatorade. And probiotics: fermented feed IMO is the perfect way to provide that, along with giving them a plug of soil or sod from your yard. One thing I keep on hand at all times is Poultry Nutri-Drench. All my chicks get it the first week. I use it before collecting hatching eggs, during molt. Good stuff!

At lazy gardener

Thank you, I will do a search. Also, about fermented feeds, I have searched the threads on it and I am looking to find advice and help on making it.

At lazy gardener

Thank you, I will do a search. Also, about fermented feeds, I have searched the threads on it and I am looking to find advice and help on making it.
You don't need a recipe. 1 bucket. Put some chicken feed in the bucket. Put some water in the bucket. (enough water and feed to make the consistency of thick cooked oatmeal) Stir it several times/day. Wait till it starts bubbling. Feed it. Add more feed and water to the bucket. Repeat. It's that simple. People try to make it hard.

You don't need a recipe. 1 bucket. Put some chicken feed in the bucket. Put some water in the bucket. (enough water and feed to make the consistency of thick cooked oatmeal) Stir it several times/day. Wait till it starts bubbling. Feed it. Add more feed and water to the bucket. Repeat. It's that simple. People try to make it hard.
You are talking about the layer feed, right? So do I feed it to my chickens while it is the "oatmeal" consistently, and do I still offer them the dry food? What is the best way to feed it, in what?

No, do not offer them the dry food. You have taken the dry food and made it wet food! I put mine in a dog bowl. Just don't mix it with a metal spoon, put it in a metal bucket, or a metal feed dish when you feed it. It is a bit acid and will leach the metal.

No, do not offer them the dry food. You have taken the dry food and made it wet food! I put mine in a dog bowl. Just don't mix it with a metal spoon, put it in a metal bucket, or a metal feed dish when you feed it. It is a bit acid and will leach the metal.

I tried making some Sunday actually, layer crumbles, scratch, with water and a few tablespoons of braggs apple cider vinegar. It kind of has a alcohol smell to it, is that okay? Or should I get rid of it and do it the other way you suggested. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom