Electrolytes and Probiotics, How often?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Blosing101, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Blosing101

Blosing101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2016
    Saint James Missouri
    I have heard some people say do not let your chickens have access to E and P's for more than 3 days in a row. Is this true? Also, how often do you provide E and P's for?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I MIGHT offer electrolytes in the water for a few days for chicks that were shipped in, if they look stressed. Generally I offer fresh water and a good chick starter, or Flock Raiser, and nothing else. There are probiotics in the feed, and the packaged electrolytes I've seen have been mostly salt. That might be okay to encourage drinking at first, but not so good otherwise. Mary,

3. Blosing101

Jul 22, 2016
    Saint James Missouri
    Do you offer it to older chickens.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I have used home made electrolyte/gatorade solution for my birds in the stress of super hot days. It seems to have made a huge difference (prior to offering it on the first super hot day, my young birds (12 weeks old) were actually stumbling, and were back to normal within an hour of having the electrolyte.

Probiotics, and electrolytes are good to deal with shipping, hatching stress, or any stress for that matter. But, you can make your own electrolytes: do a google search for home made lytes or gatorade. And probiotics: fermented feed IMO is the perfect way to provide that, along with giving them a plug of soil or sod from your yard. One thing I keep on hand at all times is Poultry Nutri-Drench. All my chicks get it the first week. I use it before collecting hatching eggs, during molt. Good stuff!

1 person likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I don't have horrible weather here in Michigan, although I do complain about it a lot. Never 100+, at least. My birds seem to do fine without additives to their water. Mary

6. Blosing101

Jul 22, 2016
    Saint James Missouri
    At lazy gardener

Thank you, I will do a search. Also, about fermented feeds, I have searched the threads on it and I am looking to find advice and help on making it.

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You don't need a recipe. 1 bucket. Put some chicken feed in the bucket. Put some water in the bucket. (enough water and feed to make the consistency of thick cooked oatmeal) Stir it several times/day. Wait till it starts bubbling. Feed it. Add more feed and water to the bucket. Repeat. It's that simple. People try to make it hard.

8. Blosing101

Jul 22, 2016
    Saint James Missouri
    You are talking about the layer feed, right? So do I feed it to my chickens while it is the "oatmeal" consistently, and do I still offer them the dry food? What is the best way to feed it, in what?

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No, do not offer them the dry food. You have taken the dry food and made it wet food! I put mine in a dog bowl. Just don't mix it with a metal spoon, put it in a metal bucket, or a metal feed dish when you feed it. It is a bit acid and will leach the metal.

10. Blosing101

Jul 22, 2016
    Saint James Missouri
    I tried making some Sunday actually, layer crumbles, scratch, with water and a few tablespoons of braggs apple cider vinegar. It kind of has a alcohol smell to it, is that okay? Or should I get rid of it and do it the other way you suggested. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by