Electrolytes and probiotics

an123

Hatching
Mar 27, 2017
Is it ok to give chicks electrolytes and probiotics in their water everyday?

They only need/benefit from electrolytes after first hatch or long shiping transit. Well, any stress related transit or injury too. Everyday is right but it's not open ended. A few days worth is all. Pure clean water goes a long way and shouldn't be substituted. Keep in mind why we use electrolytes and use sparingly and accordingly. I also provide it in midday water refills during the hottest week of summer.

I'll add my thoughts on electrolytes with vitamins- It's an energy boost that gets birds eating feed. Feed and clean water is what grows healthy birds. During times of stress- hatching, shipping, injuries and extreme heat causes stress and lethargy. The birds need the feed to recoup and the energy boost provided by the electrolytes and vitamins aids them in eating. You'll note the slump in feed consumption during hottest days of summer, changing out the warm water for cold several times a day is important but also adding electrolytes to noon refill will get them eating more to keep them in top performance.

Last edited:
Welcome! Most feeds now have added probiotics, check the label. Also, make sure that your feed is dated within one month, or less, to ensure freshness and adequate vitamins. If I add electrolytes to the water, it's because the chicks are very stressed from shipping, and then only for a few days at most. Mary

Back
Top Bottom